Sports Year in Review: The standout Tiger athletes of 2022–23

Pinto and O'Toole
The two 2021 Ivy League Champions met for the first time as professional soccer players in the U.S. Open Cup.
Photo Courtesy of @TigerMensSoccer/Twitter.

The Tigers, in addition to lots of team success, had a year filled with notable individual accomplishments and accolades. From a National Football League draft pick to the end of a wrestling championship drought, here are some of the best individual performances of 2022–23. 

Tiger to Tiger: Senior receiver Andrei Iosivas joins Cincinnati Bengals

Iosivas became the first Princeton footballer since Seth Devalve ’16 to get drafted by an NFL team.

After a career year, where Iosivas led the Ivy League in receptions, the Cincinnati Bengals selected him in the sixth round, 206th overall. Iosivas will now join the list of 23 Princeton alumni who have been drafted into the NFL.

Tigers reunite in the MLS

Like his former teammate and fellow 2021 Ivy League Champion Kevin O’Toole ’22 did last year, junior midfielder Malik Pinto went pro, joining MLS team FC Cincinnati.

“Despite a subpar season for our Princeton soccer standards, the journey was filled with impressive growth and valuable lessons,” Pinto told the ‘Prince.’ “On a more personal note, this season had a silver lining, as I entered the professional soccer world.”

On May 10, Pinto and O’Toole met as opponents for the first time. In their first of many more matchups, Pinto and FC Cincinnati prevailed, taking the 1–0 win against NYCFC in the U.S. Open Cup.

Glory and Monday revive Princeton wrestling

The 72-year wait is over. After a 4–1 win against Purdue’s Mathew Ramos, senior wrestler Patrick Glory took home the wrestling championship in the 125-weight class. No other Princeton wrestler had been able to accomplish this feat since Bradley Glass ’53.

This year, Glory went undefeated (25–0), earning his fourth All-American Award. Along with Glory, senior wrestler Quincy Monday took third place at the NCAA championships in the 165-pound weight class. He ended the season with a stellar 27–3 record. Collectively, Glory and Monday are two of four wrestlers in program history with multiple top-three NCAA finishes.

As a team, Princeton wrestling placed 13th, marking this season as one of the greatest seasons in Princeton wrestling history.

Fantinelli finishes first, a notable year for Princeton golf

First-year golfer Riccardo Fantinelli led the Tigers to a NCAA regionals qualification following his first-place performance at the Ivy League championships. The Ivy League Rookie of the Year received medalist honors after beating out Harvard golfer Brian Ma by four strokes and became just the third rookie in Princeton history to win medalist honors.

“Seeing as this is my first year of collegiate golf, I’m really pleased with the culture of our team,” said Fantinelli. “I was really happy with our performance this season, but there’s always room for improvement. Everyone on the team is ambitious and we push each other on and off the course.”

Men’s golf finished first this year individually and as a team in the Ivy League championships, with notable third and fourth place finishes by sophomore Jackson Fretty and first-year William Huang catapulting the team to first. The Tigers finished 18th in the NCAA regionals.  

Women’s golf additionally had a notable season, with first-year Catherine Rao finishing as runner-up in Ivy League Championships. For the first time since the awards have been given, both the Ivy League Player of the Year and Rookie of the Year awards went to Princetonians. Sophomore Victoria Liu was an unanimous selection for Ivy League Player of the Year and finished 25th overall at NCAA regionals, while Rao was selected for Rookie of the Year.

Senior pole vaulter Sondre Guttormsen wins his third national championship

With his record-tying six-meter pole vault, Guttormsen won his third NCAA national championship in outdoor track and field and second title in indoor track and field.

After going toe-to-toe with Texas Tech’s Zach Bradford, Guttormsen broke his personal vaulting record twice, initially jumping 5.91 meters, then 6 meters after that. With this NCAA tournament victory, Guttormsen will go down as one of the greatest pole vaulters in Princeton track and field history.

Tigers dominate beyond the Ivy-League, nationally and internationally

Women’s ice hockey junior forward Sarah Fillier and defender Claire Thompson ’20 won silver with Team Canada at the International Ice Hockey Federation Championships. Fillier was named tournament MVP, scoring seven goals while assisting four.

Junior Karim Elbarbary was named first team All-American in men’s squash. He finished as a quarterfinalist in the CSA individual championships. Senior Andrea Toth was additionally named first team All-American in women’s squash, finishing top 10 in the CSA individual championships.

Senior swimmer Raunak Khosla became a nine-time All-American this year, finishing ninth in the 200-meter butterfly at the NCAA national championship. He also led men’s swimming and diving to their first top-25 finish in program history, with Ivy League tournament wins in 200-meter Individual Medley,  200-meter butterfly, 400-meter IM, and 800-meter freestyle relay.

Other notable achievements 

Men’s lacrosse star sophomore attacker Coulter Macksey made history this season, scoring 55 goals, which was enough to break the single-season goal record for Princeton men’s lacrosse.

Senior tennis player Daria Frayman won Ivy League player of the year, ending the season with a 31­–6 record and an ITA singles ranking as high as No. 4.

Senior cross-country runner Abby Loveys placed third overall in the 5000m at Outdoor Heptagonals, which was enough to take her to the regional round of the national championship. 

Brian Mhando is an associate editor for the Sports section at the ‘Prince.’

Please direct any corrections requests to corrections[at]dailyprincetonian.com.