Second staff member tests positive for COVID-19, student's results still pending| March 14, 2020
The second of the two University staff members under self-isolation after potential exposure to COVID-19 has now tested positive, according to an updated statement on the University website Saturday afternoon.
The first staff member had previously tested positive on Friday, March 13. Both of the staff members will remain in self-isolation, and the University stated that it is “working to ensure they have the support and access to care that they need.”
As previously reported on March 10, the University said the two staff members were possibly exposed to COVID-19 at an off-campus gathering.
According to the latest update, the University worked with local health officials earlier this week to contact those who may have been in direct close contact with the two staff members since their potential exposure. The individuals contacted have been under self-quarantine and “will be notified by Occupational Health about the duration of self-quarantine they need to observe,” said the statement.
Princeton Mayor Liz Lempert confirmed Sunday morning that the second University staff member is “not a resident of Princeton.” Still, she took to Twitter to emphasize the importance of social distancing protocols.
“While the number of confirmed positive cases in [Princeton] currently remains at one, and regardless of the ultimate results from the several tests that are still pending, we must presume at this point that the virus is already circulating in the Princeton community,” Lempert wrote.
A University student who was “exhibiting flu-like symptoms” was tested for coronavirus on March 11 at McCosh Health Center and remained there in self-isolation. The results of the test are still pending, according to the University.
Deputy University Spokesperson Mike Hotchkiss confirmed that this individual is the only student that has been tested at McCosh.
The updated statement reiterated the importance of following best practices as issued by University guidelines, based around the concept of social distancing. The statement also advised community members to continue taking preventive measures, like frequent hand washing and avoiding touching one’s face.
There were 69 positive cases of COVID-19 in the state of New Jersey as of 2 p.m. on Saturday, according to the New Jersey Department of Health.
At 8:11 p.m. on Saturday, Governor Phil Murphy announced the state’s second death of an individual with COVID-19 — a woman in her 50s who was being treated in Monmouth County.
This story is breaking and will be updated as more information becomes available.