Sunday, February 28

Previous Issues

Today's Front Page
Subscribe to our Newsletters
Play the Friday crossword

Marie-Rose Sheinerman

Mark Dodici / The Daily Princetonian

Classics chair asks Princeton to ‘urgently’ review department culture after Katz misconduct comes to light

The department has also created an alternate section of Katz’s course on Homer and allowed students to switch into the new section.

East Pyne Hall
Mark Dodici / The Daily Princetonian

Katz releases statement on misconduct allegations, acknowledging relationship with undergraduate student and past discipline

In a statement published on Friday morning, Katz said he had a relationship with a student that violated the University’s rules and was suspended as a result.

East Pyne Hall, home to Princeton’s classics department, at dusk.
Jonathan Ort / The Daily Princetonian

Alumni allege history of inappropriate conduct with female students by Princeton professor Joshua Katz

A ‘Prince’ investigation has uncovered allegations that Katz, a classics professor who spent more than two decades at the University, crossed professional boundaries with three of his female students.

Princeton historians condemn Trump administration’s 1776 commission report

Princeton professors denounce former President Trump’s 1776 Commission, a project to promote “patriotic education,”  as an ill-informed backlash to The New York Times’ 1619 project. 

Princeton professors denounce President Trump’s 1776 Commission, a project to promote “patriotic education,”  as an ill-informed backlash to The New York Times’ 1619 project. 

The flag of the People's Republic of China. 
Kathy Smail / Pixy

Amid digital crackdown, Chinese Politics professor recommends students in China avoid his class

Professor Rory Truex ’07 explained that since the course “includes material that is banned in China,” he didn’t “want anyone to feel that they were in a position where they had to access banned material in order to succeed in my course.”

Members of Divest Princeton after submitting their proposal to the CPUC Resources Committee in February. 
Courtesy of Anna Hiltner 

Divest Princeton accumulates 62 faculty and staff, 161 alumni endorsements ahead of referendum

In total, 1,706 alumni, faculty, students, staff, and parents have signed on to their open letter to President Eisgruber, in a pledge not to donate to the University until and unless it commits to divesting from fossil fuels. Divest Princeton’s USG Referendum will be voted on next week.

Michael Noonan / Wikimedia Commons

U. pays Carole Baskin to promote social distancing in #PrincetonPromise video

Baskin did not recall how much she was paid for the #PrincetonPromise video appearance, but speculated to the ‘Prince’ that her fee was around $299. According to Baskin, she will donate the money to “legislative issues” in support of her big-cat activism work.

McCosh Health Center.
Mark Dodici / The Daily Princetonian

PHAs adjust annual Safer Sexpo to COVID-19 realities with ‘emphasis on solo sex’

“With a virtual semester and the ongoing pandemic, we wanted to make sure to reflect the reality that people are engaging less frequently (if at all) in in-person sex behaviors and that COVID transmission is a potential risk if people do engage in person, and to cover safer alternatives,” University Health Services Health Promotion Specialist Janine Mascari wrote in an email to The Daily Princetonian.

More articles »

Cornel West, Robert George talk free speech, campus memory, and courage

In a wide-ranging interview, Associate News & Features Editor Marie-Rose Sheinerman sat down with Professor of Jurisprudence Robert George and Professor Emeritus Cornel West GS’80 to discuss the two scholars’ recent op-ed in The Boston Globe, “On Honesty and Courage”. In the piece, the two long-time friends called on former Vice President Joe Biden and President Donald Trump — along with the American people — to uphold the aforementioned values during this difficult moment for our nation. In the interview, George and West discuss the renaming of the Princeton School of Public and International Affairs, formerly known as the Woodrow Wilson School; recent controversy surrounding an op-ed by Professor Joshua Katz; campus memory of the Black Justice League, a Black student activist group; historical figures the two believe ought be elevated; and the importance of diverging from mainstream perspectives, no matter the social consequences. Editing by Mark Dodici ’22. www.dailyprincetonian.com

NEWS | 02/28/2021

More media »