Wednesday, January 26

Previous Issues

Try our latest crossword
Listen to Daybreak for the day’s biggest stories

Marie-Rose Sheinerman

McCosh Health Center
Julian Gottfried / The Daily Princetonian

Princeton moves finals online, mandates boosters for spring semester amid COVID-19 uptick

Dean Dolan cited this “rise in our case counts just registered yesterday” as a reason for the University to take new measures at this juncture so that students would not have to stay on campus into Winter Break if they test positive.

Candace Do / The Daily Princetonian

Gift from Princeton trustee Effron ’84 allows mass expansion of American Studies program

“The creation of this center strengthens Princeton’s voice in the global dialogue on the complex and diverse meanings of what it means to be America, and American,” Beliso-De Jesús said.

Community members outside of Jadwin Gym at around 11:50 a.m., prior to the Pfizer vaccine clinic opening. The line would grow in the coming hours.
Zachary Shevin / The Daily Princetonian

Community members wait hours for boosters, isolation housing expands amid COVID-19 spike

As COVID-19 cases and isolation dorm occupancy reach new highs, students and community members wait in line for hours to receive their booster shots. 

Angel Kuo / The Daily Princetonian

Life after accusation: Inside Princeton's Honor Code

Every year, dozens of students come before the Honor Committee. In interviews with eight of the accused, we chronicle a story of spiraling mental health, institutionalized alienation, and renewed hopes for reform.

Toni Morrison’s first novel, “The Bluest Eye,” was published by Holt, Rhinehart and Winston in 1970.
Photo Courtesy of Angela Radulescu / Wikimedia Commons

Historic Toni Morrison exhibition scheduled to open at Princeton in spring 2023

In the view of Chair of the English Department Simon Gikandi, the exhibition is “groundbreaking.” It will mark the first time “we have a panoramic view of the many sides of Morrison as a writer, an artist, and a book editor who almost single handedly chaperoned the canon of Black letters that emerged in the post-civil rights period,” Gikandi wrote to the ‘Prince.’

Professor Robert George.
Gage Skidmore / Wikimedia Commons

Profs. George, Whittington rebuke University of Florida ban on faculty testifying on voting rights

After a week of outrage, the University of Florida has announced a reversal of its ban on professors providing expert testimony in cases involving the state government.

Concept art of the renovated Dillon Gym.
University Facilities

Dillon Gym expansion project expected to begin summer 2022

The renovation will involve the creation of a new entrance on Elm Drive, an outdoor court space, and a New South Pavilion south of the existing building, which will serve as an additional space for cardio workouts.

McCosh Health Center

Princeton inadvertently releases information on thousands of students, faculty, staff

Despite sharing information on employment status and COVID-19 testing status, the document did not reveal any vaccination data or COVID-19 test results.

A COVID-19 saliva test taken on campus
Zachary Shevin / The Daily Princetonian

COVID-19 risk status marked ‘Low,’ change to mask guidance possible

The University’s COVID-19 dashboard classified campus risk status for the virus as “Low.”  In an email sent Wednesday, University health officials noted that mask guidances may change in November if students remain “vigilant.”

Angel Kuo / The Daily Princetonian

Classics professor’s lawsuit against academic society dismissed by New Jersey court

The judge found that the suit failed to meet the requisite standards for jurisdiction in federal court in New Jersey, but did not rule on the merits of Katz’s claims. The decision leaves the door open for Katz to refile his suit against the ACLS in New York, where the society is based.

More articles »

Cornel West, Robert George talk free speech, campus memory, and courage

In a wide-ranging interview, Associate News & Features Editor Marie-Rose Sheinerman sat down with Professor of Jurisprudence Robert George and Professor Emeritus Cornel West GS’80 to discuss the two scholars’ recent op-ed in The Boston Globe, “On Honesty and Courage”. In the piece, the two long-time friends called on former Vice President Joe Biden and President Donald Trump — along with the American people — to uphold the aforementioned values during this difficult moment for our nation. In the interview, George and West discuss the renaming of the Princeton School of Public and International Affairs, formerly known as the Woodrow Wilson School; recent controversy surrounding an op-ed by Professor Joshua Katz; campus memory of the Black Justice League, a Black student activist group; historical figures the two believe ought be elevated; and the importance of diverging from mainstream perspectives, no matter the social consequences. Editing by Mark Dodici ’22. www.dailyprincetonian.com

NEWS | 01/26/2022

More media »