Res college funding decided by population size, not endowment

Despite the popular perception that newer residential colleges, such as Whitman and Butler College, have larger endowments to fund more expensive student activities, several University representatives explained that the colleges’ budgets are determined by the number of student residents.

Colleges of comparable size have comparable budgets, said the administrators at four of the six residential colleges who are tasked with managing the budgets. They noted that the bulk of residential college funds are appropriated toward funding student activities and student-led programs.

Whitman has the smallest total student affiliation with a population of 760, including Spelman and other affiliated upperclassman residences. Wilson has the largest total affiliation with 900.

“College council events are a priority for Wilson College,” administrator Laurie Hebditch said in an email. “The vast majority of the budget is spent on student activities in one way or another, either through the RCA and RGS programs, the college council, which oversees 5 percent of our total college budget, council trips [which comprise] 10 percent of the overall budget or the many studio spaces, Blackbox dance club, cafe nights, study breaks and the annual council giveaways.”

Similarly, Rockefeller, Mathey and Butler College administrators said that after the expenses reserved for the operating costs of running a residential college, the remaining budget goes toward student activities.

In most cases, a significant portion of the student activity budget is dispersed among residential college advisers, who are given funds based on the number of advisees in their group. Administrators said that most RCA group sizes are the same and that the amount of funding per year reflects this.

“We give each RCA group the same funding initially, but if an RCA group is particularly large, we have given that group more money toward the end of the semester if the RCA requests more funding,” Rocky administrator Karen Sisti said in an email.

However, in Wilson College, the amount of money per advisee was lowered this year in an attempt to fund collaborative RCA and RGS study breaks, according to Kameron Knab ’12, an RCA in Wilson.

“I prefer baking for my ’zees which allows me to stretch the proverbial dollar,” Knab said in an email. “In addition, I work in the dining hall and am, on occasion, allowed to take some of the extra food to my ‘zees. Specific study breaks I’ve thrown include Secret Santa, chocolate fondue, movie nights and pickup games of squash and basketball.”

The procedure for funding RGS-hosted events differs in nature from that of RCA-hosted ones, in which there is little difference from college to college.

In Wilson, the majority of the responsibility is left in the hands of RGSs for planning events and trips, and the college office usually approves any funding.

“Speaking for Wilson College, RGS funding is flexible, and each request is evaluated on its merits and in light of college priorities,” Hebditch said in an email. “[RGS] input and creativity is best leveraged when we give them the freedom to develop their own programs as they become familiar with undergraduate life and get to know the students.”

In Rocky, administrators said they prefer a more structured approach to funding RGS activities.

“RGS funding is as needed, but we ask the RGSs to assess how widely an activity will be attended before funding,” Sisti said. “If an RGS has an idea for an activity or trip, we ask that they line up initial student involvement before we provide funding.”

In Butler, funding guidelines are discussed with RGSs at the beginning of the year, according to administrator Betty Stein.

Aside from RCA and RGS funding, most residential colleges host events aimed at promoting intra-college social gatherings. Yet much of the perception that certain newer colleges receive more funding is the result of these more public, college-wide events.

In recent years, Whitman events like weekly College Night meals reserved for only Whitman students, as well as “Whitmania,” Whitman Olympics and various apparel giveaways throughout the year have drawn criticisms from students whose own residential colleges do not host similar events.

Alyssa Atain ’13, an RCA in Whitman and a member of the college council which plans such events, said that they are the result of student enthusiasm and creativity.

“Whitman College Council plans a variety of activities throughout the year,” Atain said in an email. “I think a major factor that helps us achieve our goals is our weekly meetings.”

Whitman Director of Student Life Devon Wessman-Smerdon ’05 also credited the work of students for the success of Whitman’s various events.

“Here at Whitman we put a lot of emphasis on student leadership in the college and encourage our students to help shape their residential college experience,” Wessman-Smerdon said in an email. “We are extremely fortunate to have an excellent College Council that is dedicated to creating meaningful opportunities for Whitmanites.”

Another facet of funding in the residential college system is the college community fund. Created last year, the fund was established by all the residential college directors who each pledged an undisclosed amount of their budget money.

The CCF offers funding to any University group which promotes inter-college gatherings through an application process overseen by representatives of the six residential colleges.

“All the colleges contributed to the fund, and we are trying to make it campus-wide,” Butler CCF representative Danielle Kutasov ’14 said. “They’re really trying to foster the residential college system and provide an alternative to eating clubs.”

University Spokesperson Martin Mbugua said that funding protocol within each residential college has not changed over the last few years.

“Individual colleges decide how to allocate funds, but RCAs in all colleges receive sufficient programming budgets,” Mbugua said in an email. “RCAs in all colleges may approach their director of student life and college administrator to talk about programming ideas that require funds beyond the RCA’s own programming budget.”

Whitman administrator Kristin Frasier did not comment for this article, and Forbes administrator Alison Cook did not respond to multiple requests for comment.