Sarah Warman Hirschfield

Articles

Princeton University Film Festival showcases 60 student films

High school students from across the country came to the University for the inaugural Princeton University Film Festival (PUFF) held on Nov. 11. The all-day event featured talks by producers, including Jay Stern and Vicki Horwitz, TV executives such as Armando Polanco and Mark Kang, workshops, panels, and screenings of students' work.

Paradise Papers reveal U. endowment in offshore accounts

Princeton, along with hundreds of other U.S. colleges and universities such as Columbia, Stanford, Duke, and the University of Pennsylvania, has investments in offshore accounts where its endowment can grow with little or no taxation. 

Hotovely talk takes place despite protests

The Center for Jewish Life postponed of a talk with Tzipi Hotovely, Israel’s Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs, on Sunday evening after drawing criticism from the Alliance of Jewish Progressives for “her racist, anti-Palestinian views.” On Monday,  Chabad House announced that it would host the speaker instead. 

Bermann to lead new seminar on global migration supported by Mellon Foundation

Beginning in the 2018–19 academic year, comparative literature professor Sandra Bermann will lead a Sawyer Seminar called Global Migration: The Humanities and Social Sciences in Dialogue. Bermann plans to bring in faculty from multiple disciplines, including history, sociology, comparative literature, and politics.  

Temporary Jones Act waiver directly affects town company

Opponents to the legislation, such as McCain, are using this 10-day period to propose that it be eliminated altogether. Since the act was waived, McCain, who did not offer comment, has repeatedly vocalized the need to repeal the act. The outdated piece of legislation doesn’t come cheap, either, Bhatia explained. As a crucial partner to the cargo ships, Puerto Rico essentially provides a third of the ship workers’ income. 

Swastika found near Lewis Library

A swastika was drawn on “The Hedgehog and the Fox” sculpture by Lewis Library on Sep. 8, two days before Rosh Hashana, the Jewish New Year, according to Paul Ominsky, the executive director of Public Safety. Following a response from the Department of Public Safety, the University Art Museum arranged for the drawing to be removed.