Sarah Warman Hirschfield

Articles

U. president weighs in on 'religious test' in judiciary confirmation hearings

“I’m not very optimistic about what’s going on at the Supreme Court level,” Eisgruber told The Daily Princetonian, “and part of it is because the polarization both in our politics generally and around judges has become greater ... It’s become really hard to define what counts as a ‘moderate’ and people on each side seem to refer to virtually everybody on the other side as, in their view, extreme.”

Eisgruber urges Congress to pass legislation to protect DACA enrollees

University President Christopher Eisgruber ‘83 sent a letter to congressional leaders yesterday urging them to place the highest priority on legislation that would provide both immediate and long-term protection for young people who have been enrolled in or are eligible for the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program.

UPDATED: Ivy professors tell students to think for themselves

On August 29, a group of professors from Princeton, Harvard, and Yale released a statement encouraging students to “think for yourself.” The statement was posted on the website of Princeton’s James Madison Program in American Ideals and Institutions, an institute headed by one of the letter’s co-authors, Robert George, the McCormick Professor of Jurisprudence.

What happens if marijuana is legalized in New Jersey?

Every 22 minutes, someone in New Jersey is arrested for marijuana possession, according to a 2012 statistic cited in a new bill introduced by New Jersey lawmakers on May 15. Just this month, a University student was arrested for possession of less than 50 grams of marijuana, according to a local police report. Sponsored by Democratic state senator Nicholas Scutari, the bill would legalize, regulate, and tax recreational marijuana in New Jersey, joining eight other states that host recreational marijuana programs. The new bill seeks to alleviate racial inequalities in the criminal justice system by legalizing the drug. The University's stance surrounding the drug's use is not immune to the potential policy change.

Senate delegation calls for investigation of Carl Icahn ’57

Eight senators wrote a letter to the acting heads of the Futures Trading Commission, the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Environmental Protection Agency on Tuesday calling for a federal investigation into Carl Icahn ‘57’s investment in the oil refiner CVR Energy, according to The New York Times. Carl Icahn ’57, a billionaire investor and generous donor to the University, is currently serving as President Donald Trump’s advisor. Icahn’s donations funded the Carl C.

Alumni launch TiGrrrHat Project

A group of alumnae have started an initiative to wear an orange-and-black version of the PussyHats worn at the Women’s March on Washington.