Sarah Warman Hirschfield

Articles

New Jersey could become the first state to outlaw the sale of menthol cigarettes

ew Jersey could become the first state to outlaw the sale of menthol cigarettes. Democratic Assemblyman Herb Conaway ’85, a physician and chairman of the Assembly Health and Senior Services Committee, is sponsoring a bill that would add menthol-flavored cigarettes to New Jersey’s list of prohibited flavored cigarettes.

University's Director of Global Health Programs competes on Jeopardy!

Starting on Jan. 10, the University’s Director of Global Health Programs, Gilbert Collins GS ’99, racked up five consecutive wins on the television game show “Jeopardy!” The winning streak puts Collins, who holds a Master in Public Affairs from the Woodrow Wilson School, in the running for the Tournament of Champions, an annual competition featuring the longest-running champions and biggest winners from recent seasons.

Spoofed email throws E-Club listserv into confusion

The Office of Information Technology opened an investigation and found that the email was forged in order to mislead the recipients about the origin of the message. Such an email is commonly referred to as a spoof.

U. appears in sexual harassment crowdsourcing survey

“I lost faith in academia. I do not trust universities to look out for our best interest,” reads the entry. “I feel like I did everything right (reporting, waiting for the process) and it didn't matter … I don't trust anyone to be safe. I don't want academia any more.”

U. community responds to Trump's declaration of Israeli capital

President Trump formally recognized Jerusalem as the capital of Israel on Wednesday and announced plans to relocate the U.S. Embassy from Tel Aviv to the new capital. The move is divorced from decades of domestic and international policy, evoking responses from the University community. 

Xiyue Wang used as "pawn" by Iran in negotiations with United States

Over the course of this month, the Iranian government has aired videos of two foreign prisoners—Xiyue Wang GS, sentenced to 10 years in prison for espionage while conducting research, and Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, an Iranian-British charity worker sentenced to five years for endangering national security—in an effort to pressure the U.S. and Great Britain to withhold sanctions and pay back debt, respectively.

High time to legalize recreational marijuana in NJ

Dominick “Nick” Bucci carried out over 1,000 arrests and convictions over 22 years working as an undercover detective in narcotics. Looking back, the retired New Jersey State Trooper feels that he “was doing it all wrong,” calling the War on Drugs, the U.S. campaign to end illegal drug trade, an “abject failure.”

Princeton University Film Festival showcases 60 student films

High school students from across the country came to the University for the inaugural Princeton University Film Festival (PUFF) held on Nov. 11. The all-day event featured talks by producers, including Jay Stern and Vicki Horwitz, TV executives such as Armando Polanco and Mark Kang, workshops, panels, and screenings of students' work.

Paradise Papers reveal U. endowment in offshore accounts

Princeton, along with hundreds of other U.S. colleges and universities such as Columbia, Stanford, Duke, and the University of Pennsylvania, has investments in offshore accounts where its endowment can grow with little or no taxation.