Football ends season with a string of Ivy League awards

EoS awards
Princeton’s two appearances in the First Team All-Ivy came from senior linebackers and captains Ozzie Nicholas and Liam Johnson.
Photo Courtesy of @PrincetonFTBL/Twitter.

Although Princeton Football did not come away with a share of the Ivy League title, the Tigers still managed to have success in the end-of-season All-Ivy football team honors, with a total of 10 players recognize.

On Tuesday, Nov. 21, the Ivy League announced the winners after the season ended for the Tigers and the rest of the conference. 

Unsurprisingly, Princeton’s two appearances in the First Team All-Ivy came from senior linebackers and captains Ozzie Nicholas and Liam Johnson. The two combined for 187 tackles across 10 games this season. Ozzie Nicholas led the scoreboard across the entire Ivy League, having made 104 tackles total.

Nicholas and Johnson have been stalwarts in Princeton’s defense from last season to the present, marking the second consecutive year they have been recognized for awards. Johnson continued his streak of being in the First Team All-Ivy, while Nicholas this year was voted First Team All-Ivy unanimously, the only Tiger to do so.

Nicholas also led the team with 4.5 sacks, and was the only Tiger ranked in the top 10 for sacks and tackles across the Ivy League. His impressive season was capped with over 100 tackles, which has not been done by a Princeton player since Zak Keasy ‘05, who recorded 127 tackles in 2004 and later played for the National Football League’s (NFL) San Francisco 49ers. 

Princeton’s other Ivy award winners were sophomore defensive back Nasir Hill and senior offensive lineman Jalen Travis, who were recognized in the Second Team All-Ivy. Honorable mentions were given to senior defensive lineman Jack DelGarbino, senior offensive lineman Nicholas Hilliard, senior linebacker Will Perez, junior wide receivers AJ Barber and Luke Colella, and first-year punter Brady Clark. Travis was also named to the Academic All-Ivy in further recognition of his ability off the football field.

Hill, a sophomore safety for the Tigers, was rightfully recognized for what has been an impressive season. Continuing his good form, Hill recorded 3 interceptions in the Ivy League, two against Penn and one against Harvard, both of which were in big games that the Tigers won. He also ranked first for Princeton in passes defended with 8 and third for Princeton in tackles with 62.

Offensive lineman Travis found himself once again in the Second Team All-Ivy for the second year in a row, despite having an injury that put him on the sideline for a few games. Before the injury, Travis had a 91.6 overall PFF grade, ranking him first in the country for his position and thus, well above the competition. When he came back to the offensive line, the team scored 21, 28, and 31 points in their last three games against Dartmouth, Yale, and Penn respectively. A potential NFL prospect and a member of the Academic All-Ivy team, Travis managed to overcome adversity this season to end on good form.

Hilliard, another offensive lineman, had a strong season in his first as the starter at right guard. DelGarbino, a fellow senior and defensive lineman, also had a quality season as he led the Princeton defensive line in tackles with 51, averaging 5.10 per game. 

Despite missing almost all of the last four games by injury, linebacker Perez got 38 tackles to his name, whilst also having standout moments against Bryant, Harvard, and Penn.

Wide receiver duo Colella and Barber consistently ranked as Princeton’s best and some of the best players in the league. Both ranked top 10 in receptions, receptions per game, reception yards, receiving yards per game, and yards per catch. Colella additionally ranked third for reception touchdowns with six, whilst Barber scored three reception touchdowns – two of which came in big wins against Penn and Harvard.

Clark, the only freshman recognized for Princeton, had a terrific first year as a punter, averaging 39.24 yards per punt which placed him 4th across the Ivy League. Perhaps his biggest moment came against Harvard, when he punted for 51 yards, pinning Harvard at their three-yard line, getting Princeton the ball and allowing them to score the winning touchdown on the next drive.

Several Tigers who had a good season didn’t make the list, but special mention should go to senior quarterback Blake Stenstrom, who was crucial in late touchdown drives against teams like Columbia and Harvard. 

Alex Beverton-Smith is a contributor to the Sports section of the ‘Prince.’

Please send corrections to corrections[at]princeton.edu.