Support the ‘Prince’

Please disable ad blockers for our domain. Thank you!

Keeping up with COVID-19: a timeline of our coverage

The entrance to McCosh Health Center.

Photo Credit: Jon Ort / The Daily Princetonian

Welcome to The Daily Princetonian’s central coronavirus page, which features everything you need to know about COVID-19’s effects on the University. Every piece we’ve published on COVID-19 is available below. This page will be regularly updated with new and breaking coverage. To receive updates directly, subscribe to the ‘Prince’ newsletter.

We have also developed a New Jersey COVID-19 activity map, which will be regularly updated. 

Recent Coverage:

April 2: First death from COVID-19 in town confirmed by Princeton Health Department

March 27: PDF grading option extended to all courses as U. finalizes its policy

March 21: N.J. residents must stay at home, Gov. Phil Murphy announces

March 20: Reunions cancelled due to COVID-19 pandemic

March 19: U. grants students unlimited P/D/Fs for spring term, “encourages” faculty to consider “PDF-only option”

March 15: U. requires all students abroad to return to their permanent residences

March 13: Staff member tests positive for COVID-19, town declares state of emergency

March 11: All students but those meeting specific criteria must return home for rest of semester, U. says

March 9: Courses going virtual, students encouraged to stay home after break

March 9: U. confirms inadvertently-released COVID-19 information was ‘under development,’ not finalized

March 3: President Eisgruber releases letter on COVID-19’s spread

Features and Analysis:

March 25: When the show can’t go on: COVID-19 and Princeton’s performing arts

March 24: ‘Safer for me to stay’: COVID-19, study abroad, and the risks of returning home

March 23: ‘The end of the world’: how students said goodbye to campus

March 23: Public charge, COVID-19, and how local immigration activists are adapting

March 13: ‘Everything I have is here’: international students and the COVID-19 crisis

In Sports:

March 30: NCAA grants extra year of eligibility to spring athletes, denies it to winter ones

March 12: NCAA cancels all winter and spring championships

March 11: Ivy League cancels all athletic events through end of academic year

March 11: Update | NCAA to limit attendance at events, including women’s basketball tournament

March 10: Ivy League cancels basketball tournament due to COVID-19 threat

Follow our sports coverage on Twitter @PrinceSports.

In Prospect:

March 31: To all the memories unmade, photos untaken

Associate News and Features Editor Marie-Rose Sheinerman reflects on the memories Princeton students will miss out on during their semester spent away from campus and away from each other.

March 25: In photos: A campus deserted

In this interactive photoessay, The Daily Princetonian looks at hotspots of campus life, sharply contrasted against the emptiness that filled the Orange Bubble on a recent rainy morning.

March 12: For all the frustrated Tigers

Prospect writer José Pablo Fernández García reflects on the heartbreaking disappointments students have endured in the past week.

Coronavirus Q&As:

April 2: Q&A with public health expert Nicholas Christakis

April 1: Q&A with renowned health economist Anne Case and Nobel laureate Angus Deaton

March 5: Q&A with Sarah Kliff, health policy journalist

On Video:

March 11: Princeton U. is sending all students home — rapid reactions from Frist Campus Center

March 10: Tiger Q | Princeton students talk COVID-19, international struggles, online classes

Subscribe to our Youtube channel here.

Editorials:

March 22: The ivory tower is not immune to pandemic

The Editorial Board criticizes the University’s grading and academic policies and urges the University to rethink them.

March 14: P/D/F grading is the only responsible solution

The Editorial Board calls on the University to impose a blanket pass/D/fail policy for all students.

March 10: U. needs to reevaluate midterms

The Editorial Board supports the petition calling for the University to reevaluate this semester’s midterm exam and enjoins the University to act on its demands. 

March 10: Letter from the editor: Amid COVID-19 crisis, the ‘Prince’ carries on

Editor-in-Chief Jon Ort ’21 announces The Daily Princetonian’s decision to suspend print production indefinitely and vows for the ‘Prince’ to continue its daily coverage digitally.

In Opinion:

March 29: Coronavirus, structural injustice, and moral responsibility

Columnist Sebastian Quiroz argues that everyone must take moral responsibility for the consequences of COVID-19.

March 29: On losing friendships to the coronavirus

Senior columnist Leora Eisenberg reflects on the fragility of friendships in the absence of physical proximity.

March 26: Digital living must be our new normal

Columnist Claire Wayner re-thinks sustainable living in the wake of COVID-19, discussing changing routines to a digital model.

March 26: When life gives you COVID-19, start learning for learning’s sake

Contributing Columnist Oliver Thakar argues that students should view the less pressurized grading system resulting from coronavirus as an opportunity to rediscover their love of learning.

March 24: The need for nature in the COVID-19 crisis

Columnist Claire Wayner calls for a cultural response to the COVID-19 pandemic that centers nature and preservation.

March 23: Coronavirus, AIDS, and the need for uncompromising empathy amid a pandemic

Columnist Emeritus Sam Aftel draws parallels between today’s coronavirus pandemic and the outbreak of the AIDS epidemic in the 1970s, highlighting the disturbing apathy people have exhibited towards those most vulnerable to each disease.

March 22: When hate is more contagious

Senior columnist Siyang Liu discusses the consequences of xenophobia, which has intensified as a result of the coronavirus outbreak.

March 20: Care amidst Corona

Columnist Kirsten Keels calls on her peers to support those in their home communities who are most disproportionately affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.

March 10: Letter to the Editor: A message from USG President Chitra Parikh ’21

Undergraduate Student Government (USG) President Chitra Parikh ’21 urges students to refer to official channels for information regarding the University’s measures in response to COVID-19.

Feb. 11: Racism and the coronavirus: quarantine Sinophobia

Columnist Richard Ma argues that the rise in anti-Chinese racism that has erupted amid the global coronavirus outbreak exposes a long-standing history of Sinophobia in the West.

Feb. 5: Caring for the community during a global health emergency

In a letter to the editor, University health administrators explain how Princeton has responded to the initial global coronavirus outbreak, which has included “comprehensive assessments” of almost 150 University affiliates who recently returned from China.

Feb. 4: Letter to the editor: Shortcomings in self-isolation after coronavirus outbreak

Several students who had recently returned from China and were subjected to self-isolation, amid global fears of the novel coronavirus outbreak, write that the University did not treat them with the consideration they deserve.

For letters to the editor, contact opinion@dailyprincetonian.com.

Past Podcasts:

‘The News’ - on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, and Google Podcasts

Princeton University admits 5.5% of applicants, the U.S. overtakes China and Italy in cases of COVID-19, and Netanyahu approaches a timeshare deal with his rival.

Princeton undergraduates are sent home, students studying abroad told to come back immediately, and one student is in isolation at McCosh, pending testing for COVID-19

The University cancels in-person classes following Spring Break, coronavirus spreads domestically and internationally, and Democrats vote in 6 states in Mini Tuesday

The University inadvertently publishes unfinalized policies for COVID-19 response, while peer institutions move to online classes.

Democrats vote on Super Tuesday, President Trump has a phone call with a Taliban official, and President Eisgruber releases a letter updating the community on COVID-19

The Iowa Democratic caucus experiences delays, Turkey and Syria spar, and U. administrators address the community.

Past News Coverage:

March 30: Princeton Chinese Committee fundraises to fight COVID-19

March 29: Coronavirus lingers on some surfaces for up to three days, study finds

March 29: Two Princeton Police Department officers test positive for COVID-19

March 28: Staff and student COVID-19 cases rise to at least 37

March 27: Amid shortages nationally, students struggle to access COVID-19 testing

March 27: Decentralized PDF grading policy sparks debate over fairness

March 25: Harvard president tests positive for COVID-19, as all but two Ivies revise Commencement plans

March 24: U. suspends all ‘non-essential’ research on campus

March 24: Princeton Children’s Fund provides emergency coronavirus financial relief for local families

March 24: University student among the ten Princeton residents to test positive for COVID-19

March 23: U. imposes social distancing restrictions, worrying some students left on campus

March 22: 5 students, 10 employees test positive for COVID-19

March 22: U. to compensate student workers for lost hours

March 22: Writing Center converts all writing seminar classes to PDF only

March 21: Multiple Bridge Year students stuck in Peru

March 20: Two more Princeton residents test positive for novel coronavirus

March 20: Princeton Public Schools teacher tests positive for COVID-19

March 20: Room Draw schedule altered in response to COVID-19 disruptions

March 19: Graduate students petition for unlimited sick leave, standardized policy

March 19: Departments suspend all undergraduate lab research, including for senior theses

March 18: One undergraduate, two more staff members test positive for COVID-19

March 16: Student's tests returned negative for COVID-19, U. says

March 16: Governor Murphy recommends curfew, closes restaurants and schools

March 15: Third U. staff member presumed positive for COVID-19, three new presumed positive cases in town

March 15: ‘Senior thesis research or lab work’ no longer a blanket criteria for remaining on campus

March 14: Second staff member tests positive for COVID-19, student’s results still pending

March 13: Students found in “large gatherings” may face “disciplinary consequences,” U. says

March 12: Princeton municipality, community respond to COVID-19 crisis

March 12: Mercer County declares state of emergency to combat coronavirus

March 12: Students to receive free packing supplies at Dillon Gym

March 12: Students abroad scramble after Trump bans travel from Europe

March 12: Student tested for COVID-19, now isolated in McCosh

March 11: Eating clubs to close until April 5

March 11: Five attendees of a Feb. 29 party in town have tested positive for COVID-19

March 11: UHS suspends routine appointments, CPS moved online

March 11: Faculty urged to consider re-weighting examinations 

March 10: Petitions to revise midterms and prevent forced departures garner 5700+ signatures combined

March 10: ‘Six feet apart’: U. recommends social distancing, students question feasibility

March 10: First coronavirus-related death in New Jersey announced by Gov. Murphy

March 10: Two U. staff members in self-quarantine, GSS program affected

March 8: Mercer County COVID-19 test returns negative as peer institutions shift to online teaching

March 7: Four new possible COVID-19 cases in New Jersey, including one in Mercer County

March 5: COVID-19 disrupts spring break travel

March 3: Stranded, scattered, and sidelined: students face coronavirus outbreak abroad

Feb. 28: Panel of professors and disease specialist discuss novel coronavirus

Feb. 11: Told to self-isolate, they were four to a room

Feb. 3: U. monitors five students for coronavirus, China Bridge Year group relocates in response to coronavirus outbreak 

We will continue to report, and to update these lists as events develop. To keep up on other platforms, follow the ‘Prince’ on Instagram (@dailyprincetonian), Twitter (@princetonian), and Facebook (@DailyPrincetonian).

For up-to-date policy information directly from the University, visit coronavirus.princeton.edu.