Two Princeton Police Department officers test positive for COVID-19

Princeton Police Department in front of Nassau Inn

A group of Princeton Police Department officers gather in front of the Nassau Inn.

Photo Credit: Jon Ort / The Daily Princetonian

On Saturday, March 28, the Princeton Health Department (PHD) informed residents that a Princeton police officer has tested positive for COVID-19. A second announcement followed on Sunday, revealing that a second police officer also tested positive for the virus. Currently, one more officer is awaiting test results.

Several weeks ago, as a precautionary measure, the Princeton Police Department began implementing a “continuity of operations plan” which sought to limit spread between personnel within the department by grouping officers into small units. Both of the officers who tested positive were in the same unit. All other officers in the unit are undergoing quarantine at this time.

The first officer tested began displaying mild symptoms on Sunday, March 22, while the second started showing symptoms on Friday, March 20.

Both press releases indicated that the two officers “immediately took steps to self-isolate.” In reference to both officers, the reports stated that “the officer has written no citations, has made no arrests and has had limited contact with the public during the period of communicability.”

Currently, neither officers are hospitalized, though they have continued to self-isolate. The first officer tested is reported to have displayed “mild symptoms” while the second’s were “moderate.” PHD has notified those who have had direct contact with the officers.

The report also stated that, following news that each officer was feeling unwell, “measures were taken at the police department to disinfect all areas of the police department and patrol vehicles.”