Thursday, September 24

Previous Issues

Order a copy of the 2020 Commencement Issue
Subscribe to Fall Print Issues
Order a copy of the Frosh Issue for the Class of 2024

Five attendees of a Feb. 29 party in town have tested positive for COVID-19

<h6>Photo Credit: Jon Ort / The Daily Princetonian</h6>
Photo Credit: Jon Ort / The Daily Princetonian

Five total attendees of a Feb. 29 private party in Princeton have now tested positive for the coronavirus. Three of the patients are Pennsylvania residents, whose test results were announced Wednesday, March 11, according to Planet Princeton.

Two of the attendees who tested positive were Boston residents and previously attended the Biogen Conference. They tested positive after returning to New England from Princeton. Massachusetts’ state health department said on Tuesday that 70 patients presumed or confirmed to be infected to the state have links to this conference, according to the Wall Street Journal

The World Health Organization announced Wednesday morning that the COVID-19 outbreak is now officially considered a “pandemic.”

The Princeton Health Department was alerted to the Pennsylvania residents’ test results on Wednesday morning. The results are considered “presumed positive” until official confirmation from the Center for Disease Control is obtained, but there is no estimate at this time how long such confirmation will take. 

The CDC has not yet verified any of the New Jersey presumed positive cases. N.J. state officials told reporters on Wednesday that “they have not been given any explanation for the delays,” according to Planet Princeton. 

Princeton Health Department has confirmed there were 47 attendees at the party, including servers, according to a statement from the municipality sent to The Daily Princetonian. 

Fourteen of the party-goers were Princeton residents and all have been contacted by local health officials, according to Planet Princeton. All have been advised to self-quarantine and health officials are “tracking them for the development of signs and symptoms.” Nine of the residents have reported “one or more symptoms” and are presently being evaluated. 

Two South Brunswick residents are known to have attended the party, and “schools in the area have been closed to limit potential exposure.” 

This story is breaking and will be updated as more information becomes available. 

Subscribe
Get the best of ‘the Prince’ delivered straight to your inbox. Subscribe now »

Comments