Reunions cancelled due to COVID-19 pandemic

Breaking News, Covid-19.jpg
Design Credit: Harsimran Makkad / The Daily Princetonian

On March 20, the Alumni Engagement office announced that 2020 Reunions, originally scheduled for May 28–31, have been canceled due to the COVID-19 outbreak. The same announcement stated the University has not made a decision regarding Commencement activities for the Class of 2020, set to take place after Reunions.

This year’s celebration would have marked a major reunion for the classes of 1970, ’75, ’80, ’85, ’90, ’95, 2000, ’05, ’10, and ’15. The class of 1970 was set to celebrate its 50th reunion. 

The three-day event was expected to draw a crowd of 25,000, according to an announcement made by the Alumni Engagement office.

“A large-scale, celebratory event – particularly one that relies on the dedication of hundreds of student employees and countless alumni volunteers – is not possible or prudent at this time,” read the statement. 

The announcement noted that the University is looking into varying options for Commencement and related activities, as well as plans for 2021 Reunions and beyond. 

“The University has not yet made a decision regarding Commencement and related end-of-year activities,” Deputy Dean of Undergraduate Students Tom Dunne wrote in an email sent to University undergraduates. “We are actively considering options and will provide more information at a later date.”

This announcement comes after multiple other alumni events have been canceled or postponed due to the COVID-19 outbreak.

This story is breaking and will be updated as more information becomes available.