5 students, 10 employees test positive for COVID-19

Breaking News, Covid-19.jpg
Design Credit: Harsimran Makkad / The Daily Princetonian

On Sunday, March 22, the University published a public health update on its COVID-19 information website, as part of “regular communications to the University community” regarding COVID-19. According to the update, University Health Services (UHS) is aware of 36 students and 17 employees who have been tested for COVID-19 as of 4 p.m. Out of the 53 tests the University is aware of, 15 have returned positive, eight have returned negative, and 30 are currently pending results.

Out of the 36 students, six were tested on campus with one negative result, one positive result, and four pending results. The one student who tested positive remains in isolation and is “receiving appropriate treatment,” while the four students awaiting test results remain in isolation.

For the 30 students tested off-campus, four students tested positive and are receiving appropriate treatment, four students tested negative, and 22 are awaiting results.

Ten employees have tested positive and are self-isolating “in their respective homes” while receiving appropriate treatment. Three have tested negative, and four are awaiting results.

On March 18, only one student and five employees had tested positive. In the past four days, the number of positive cases has more than doubled. 

3-22-cases-graphic
Design Credit: Mark Dodici / The Daily Princetonian

The update reminded members of the University to self-quarantine and contact their healthcare providers for further instructions — including potential testing — should they not be feeling well, in order to facilitate contact tracing. 

“It is important that you contact UHS no matter where you are tested or when you are tested,” the update said. “Given the nature of COVID-19, it is difficult to know when and where you first came into contact with the virus.”

Information about testing will be used by University and public health officials to implement proper measures, including appropriate contact tracing, according to the update.

“If you are contacted by Princeton University or your local health officials as part of contact tracing, it is important that you follow the public health guidelines they provide,” the website said.

This story is breaking and will be updated as more information becomes available.