Letter to the Editor: On behalf of several graduate organizations

Dear Students,

On Nov. 18 Princeton University undergraduates, spearheaded by members of the Black Justice League, staged a walkout and a sit-in at Nassau Hall. While there, students articulated several demands, including recognition of Woodrow Wilson’s racist legacy, renaming the Woodrow Wilson school and all affiliated buildings, instituting mandatory cultural competency training for faculty and students and the creation of an affinity space dedicated specifically to black students.

We write in support of the efforts of these undergraduate students. We recognize, celebrate and express the deepest respect for the courage and strength demonstrated by the undergraduate students fighting here at Princeton, and across the United States. We denounce attempts to delegitimize or minimize the concerns that have emerged as a result of the students’ protest on campus, especially threats to physically harm them. It is important to remember that, while a small fraction of the community may be directly impacted by institutional racial injustices, these imbalances are detrimental to the overall health of the entire community. The battle against racism must always be pressed because it is a battle that is always urgent.

To the administration, Board of Trustees, faculty and alumni: We urge you to recognize and respond to the pain of these students. Princeton must be a campus where we all feel included, whether we learn in its halls or lecture in its theaters, work in its dining facilities or public safety, or in any of the vital services that make this community possible.

While we admire the efforts the University has made in the last few years to make Princeton an institution that reflects the world we live in, it is clear that Princeton still largely remains an institution where people of color are often marginalized and silenced. This type of environment, without question, is antithetical to intellectual exchange and growth. This must change. The young people spearheading this charge bear the greatest of burdens upon their shoulders.

We, the Black Graduate Caucus, Graduate Women of Color Caucus, Queer Graduate Caucus, Latino Graduate Student Association, Intersecting Queer Identities and the WWS Students and Alumni of Color graduate organizations step forward to share this burden.

To the students fighting to live, we say:

You here.

You been here.

You ain’t leaving.

The fight is far from over.

We stand by you.

You are loved.

Black Graduate Caucus Board:

Akil Word-Daniels, President

Hadiya Jones, Treasurer

Gabriel Moore, External Relations Delegate

Chaya Crowder, External Relation Delegate

Nyle Fort, Community Service Coordinator

Graduate Women of Color Caucus Board:

Megan Blanchard, President

Colleen Campbell, Vice President

Janeria Easley, Treasurer

Alex Mayorga, Secretary

Angela Dixon, Event Coordinator

Kimberly Bain, Member

Queer Graduate Caucus Board:

Ariana Myers, President

Sophia Nuñez, Vice President

Latino Graduate Student Association Board:

Jeremy Borjon, President

Brandon Hunter, Vice President

Elise Myers, Campus Community Outreach Chair

Micaela Martinez-Bakker, Civic & Professional Engagement Chair

Intersecting Queer Identities Board:

Ezelle Sanford III, President

Ray Thornton, Treasurer

WWS Students and Alumni of Color (SAOC) Board:

Karli Bryant, Co-Chair

Renato Rocha, Co-Chair

Tishina Okegbe, Member