First glimpse of life after PJ: USG candidates speak at forum

On the lower levels of the Frist Campus Center last night, students scurried for capucchinos and chatted in front of the TV while in an upstairs classroom candidates for the USG's winter elections sketched their visions for the future.

Five presidential candidates, some already in the USG, others new to it, presented their platforms.

David Gail '03 said he supported a tuition freeze and financial aid increases. "I believe it's time to use some of the prosperity for the benefit of the students," said Gail, who has never held a USG position. "Princeton can afford to be affordable."

Gail said his status as a USG outsider would work to students' benefit. "I believe I would address the needs of the students just as well as the other candidates," he said. "I believe it is time for change within the USG."

Joe Kochan '02, current USG chief of staff, emphasized his continued service to the USG. "I'm the only candidate who has spent between 10-20 hours a week working for the USG," he said. "No one else can say that."

Kochan, who has served in appointed positions on the USG since his freshman year, said he would support fair wages for University service employees, a renovation of Dillon gym, increased career services for non-profit career options and improved student support services.

Wade Rakes '02, USG Projects Board co-chair, admitted there was room for improvement within the USG.

Rakes found fault with the USG's system for selecting concert performers and proposed establishing a concert committee to help guide performer selection — a suggestion offered by several other USG candidates. In addition, Rakes pledged support to projects — such as improving student group funding — whose effects would be visible immediately.

"These are not things that'll be done in five years or six," Rakes said.

Also running for the position, current campus and community affairs chair David Tukey '02 said he would act as both a representative to the administration and the community and as a coach to "Team USG."

"I feel I've shown that I can bring people together," he said.

Erik Zwicker '02, who is the junior class vice president, also emphasized that he would bring a "fresh perspective" to the USG. He said he would increase the USG's influence on campus through academic changes, financial aid improvements and school-wide community service initiatives.

Second-in-command

U-Councilor Rolando Amaya '03, Brigitte Anderson '02 and Adam Durrett '03 are all seeking the vice presidential spot, but are taking different routes to get there.

Anderson said she would support fair wages for University service employees and would try to include students who feel marginalized at the University. "The USG is not representative of the campus at large," she said, pointing out that women and minorities are not well-represented on the USG.

Durrett however proclaimed himself "the champion of the status quo."

"I don't think we need to do that much," he said. "We just need to take the things we do and make them better."

USG academics chair candidates Jacob Hodes '02 and Traci Strickland '02 both spoke of instituting academic policies that were more "student friendly." Hodes — a Class of 2002 senator — said students needed an end to grade deflation and Friday classes, as well as better quality instruction, an improved advising system, upgraded computers and improved career services.

Strickland said the process for dealing with academic problems should be easier for students. "I know what it feels like first-hand to have to deal with academic rules and the committees that enforce them," she said. "Once students are in some academic troubles, there's no one to turn to." Strickland suggested producing a pamphlet that would gather all academic regulations in one place and creating a support group for students with academic troubles or who take more than four years to complete their degrees.

Also a candidate for academics chair, Erez Lieberman '02 is seeking change at Princeton, but at a more basic level. He proposed rethinking the lecture-precept system. "It's great, Woodrow, but it's possible we should begin rethinking it," he said.

Three candidates are vying for the USG Class of 2002 senator spot —current senator Patrick Mirville, David Silk and Anesu Mandisodza.

"Slowly but surely the administration has eliminated many of the freedoms [of the student body,]" Silk said. "My candidacy is about letting the students decide."

Anesu also championed listening to students and respecting the diversity on campus. "In theory we embrace this diversity," she said. "But sometimes in the hurriedness of our lives we forget about it."

Though earlier yesterday there had been only one candidate for the '02 senator spot, there was no such shortage for the underclass officers. Six sophomores — sophomore class vice president Olivier Kamanda, Jeff Hsu, Jenny Harkin, Andrew Defilippis, Rikki Racela and Emily Mitchell — will campaign for the two Class of 2003 senator spots.

But it was the freshman class that produced the largest turnout, with 10 candidates — Nick Pukstas, Dareious Nowrouzi, Josh Anderson, Tim Fuzesi, Jesse Yang, Jason Navarino, Sonya Mirbagheri, Brad Flora, Michael Mullaly and Joe Harris.

Many pledged to improve dining services by extending late meal availability and lowering Frist prices.

Current USG undergraduate life committee chair Melissa Kemp '02 will campaign to keep her position against Christoph Geiseler '04 and U-Councilor West Owens '03.

In spite of what promise to be particularly close races for president and underclass senators, several candidates will run unopposed. Michael Kimberly '03 will run for USG treasurer, Nina Langsam '03 for campus and community affairs chair and Barham Ray '03 for undergraduate life chair.

Voting for all positions begins Monday.