Bradley falls short, and now faces uphill struggle

MANCHESTER, N.H. — Bill Bradley '65 turned in a strong performance in New Hampshire's first-in-the-nation primary yesterday, but came up short in his race against Vice President Al Gore. The former New Jersey senator remained optimistic, however, and now pushes forward to the next stage of the campaign.

In the Republican primary, conservative Steve Forbes '70 failed to capitalize on his strong showing in the Iowa caucuses last week, coming in third behind Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., and Texas Gov. George W. Bush.

The results of the Democratic primary remained unclear until late in the night, when Gore emerged as the victor, leading Bradley by five points with 85 percent of the districts reporting.

For the Republicans, McCain was the clear winner, receiving 49 percent of the vote. Bush and Forbes received 31 percent and 13 percent, respectively.

As Bradley ran neck-and-neck with Gore for much of the evening, he and his supporters remained positive about the vote.

"It looks like it's going to be a long night but it's already our night," Bradley said shortly after arriving at the New Hampshire College Fieldhouse. "A week ago they said it couldn't happen, but it's already happened."

Even as Gore emerged as the winner, Bradley said he was optimistic about his continuing campaign.

"We made a remarkable turnaround, but there's still a tough fight ahead and in the battles that are to come, I ask you to join me to prove the oldest party in politics is the newest in energy and imagination," Bradley said.

Bradley's supporters said they expected the experience he gained in New Hampshire would aid in upcoming primaries.

"I feel this was a victory," said Randal Benthien, a Bradley volunteer from Goffstown, N.H. "Bill went up against the sitting vice president [who] had the whole political machine in New Hampshire, and we did this well, and we're thrilled."

"I think the Gore campaign is worried," he added.

Ashley Westermam, a volunteer for Bradley from Chantilly, Va., said she had hoped for a stronger showing. "I'm really disappointed. We put in a lot of work, and I think he was the better candidate, but this loss was better than Iowa and he definitely has a chance," she said.

Bradley will now turn his energy to the pivotal March 7 primaries in California, New York, Massachusetts and Ohio, among others.

As many Bradley supporters celebrated their near victory, the mood among Forbes' faithful at his New Hampshire headquarters was less celebratory, as about 150 supporters gathered to await the results of the Republican primary.

Forbes was no doubt disappointed, finishing little better in New Hampshire than he did in 1996, after investing four years and several million dollars for a second GOP bid.

He spent the day making campaign stops throughout the state visiting polling places to shake hands and greet voters.

Forbes will recommence his campaign Thursday, bringing his "New Birth of Freedom" bus tour to Delaware where he will address voters.

(The Associated Press contributed to this report.)