News & Notes: University of California, Santa Barbara meningitis outbreak reaches four cases

Princeton is not the only school experiencing an outbreak of meningitis B.

Four students at the University of California, Santa Barbara have been diagnosed with the disease since November, The Los Angeles Times reported. All four cases have been of serogroup B, the same serogroup that has affected eight people at the University. The two bacteria are not of the same strain.

One of the students to contract the disease, a freshman on the lacrosse team,had to have both feet amputated due to the disease's effect on blood supply to his limbs, The Associated Press reported. He remains hospitalized.

The school has given preventative antibiotics to more than 300 students who had been in contact with the students who became ill. UC Santa Barbara officials have also announced that they have bolstered cleaning procedures in recreation facilities and residence halls.

UC Santa Barbara officials have canceled several upcoming fraternity and sorority events, the school newspaper,The University Herald, reported.

Correction: Due to an editing error, an earlier version of this article mischaracterized the relationship between the bacteria responsible for the outbreaks at Princeton and UC Santa Barbara. They are of the same serogroup, but not the same strain. The 'Prince' regrets the error.