Meyers selected Ivy Player of the Year as women's basketball collects seven conference awards

Abby Myers Ivy Tourney Warmup
Senior guard Abby Meyers has led the Tigers in scoring with 17.7 points per game this season.
Photo courtesy of @PrincetonWBB/Twitter.

After dominating the competition during the Ivy League regular season, the Princeton women’s basketball team (22–4, 14–0 Ivy) claimed a plethora of Ivy League honors, including three of the four major awards.

Headlining the award recipients was senior guard and captain Abby Meyers, who was voted unanimously as the Ivy League Player of the Year. Her selection ensures that a Tiger receives the honor for the fourth consecutive year. This also means that Princeton will sweep the Ivy League Player of the Year awards in basketball, as men’s basketball’s junior forward Tosan Evbuomwan was also unanimously voted for the award earlier this week.

Meyers has been the centerpiece of the Tigers’ dominant offense this season, scoring the second-most points per game in the Ivy League (17.7) and leading the conference in three-point percentage, knocking down 40.9 percent of her attempts from long range. Her success has earned her national recognition, as she was recently named a finalist for the Becky Hammon Mid-Major Player of the Year Award. She also garnered further recognition at the Ivy League Awards, being named to the All-Ivy First Team and as a member of the Academic All-Ivy Team.

Related: A look ahead to women’s basketball Ivy Madness tournament: Princeton enters as No. 1 seed.

Joining Meyers as a recipient of one of the major awards was sophomore forward Ellie Mitchell, who was named as the League’s Defensive Player of the Year. Mitchell has averaged 10.1 rebounds per game this season, good for first in the Ivy League and 37th in Division I. Mitchell also averaged over two steals per game.

The third and final major award recipient for the Tigers was Head Coach Carla Berube, who was named as the Ivy League Coach of the Year. The award comes as no surprise to Berube, as she has yet to lose in the Ivy League as the head coach of the Tigers. She has won the award in both of her seasons with the program so far.

Outside of the major awards, the Tigers saw two of their other stars honored, as junior guard Julia Cunningham, who has averaged 13.5 points per game this season, joined Meyers on the All-Ivy First Team. Junior guard Grace Stone was named as an All-Ivy Honorable Mention.

Altogether, the Tigers picked up seven awards, and won all of the major awards but Ivy League Rookie of the Year, which was taken home by Harvard guard Harmoni Turner. The Tigers will face off against Turner and the Crimson (13–13, 7–7) in the semifinals of the Ivy League Tournament on Friday at 4:30 p.m.

Wilson Conn is a co-head editor for the Sports section at the 'Prince' who typically covers football, basketball, and breaking news. He is also a senior writer for the Podcast section. He can be reached at wconn@princeton.edu or on Twitter at @wilson_conn.