Evbuomwan selected unanimously as Ivy League Player of the Year, four men's basketball players earn All-Ivy Honors

evbuomwan harvard win
Evbuomwan is just the third Princeton player to win the award in their junior season.
Courtesy of @PrincetonMBB/Twitter.

The accolades continue to roll in for the men’s basketball team.

After clinching the Ivy League regular season title with Saturday night’s win over Penn, the men’s basketball team (22–5, 12–2 Ivy League) was recognized again for their skill on Tuesday, with four players being given various All-Ivy distinctions from the conference. 

Tosan Evbuomwan won the most distinguished award, Ivy League Player of the Year, in a unanimous vote. This is the 14th time a Princeton player has won the award, the second highest number in the Ivy League after Penn, which has won 17 awards. It is the first time a Tiger has been selected for the honor since Spencer Weisz ’17 took home the title in 2017. Evbuomwan is also the third Princeton junior to be given the award, following Craig Robinson ’83 and Kit Mueller ’91, both of whom went on to receive the award again their senior years. 

Evbuomwan has been at the center of the Tigers’ offense all season, leading the Tigers in points per game (15.4), assists per game (5.0), and coming in second in rebounds per game (6.3). He ranked fourth, first, and seventh in those categories in the Ivy League, respectively. As a recipient of the Ivy League Player of the Year award, Evbuomwan was also granted a spot on the All-Ivy First Team.

Joining Evbuomwan on the All-Ivy First Team is his teammate, senior guard Jaelin Llewellyn. Llewellyn was second on the Tigers in scoring with 15.4 points per game, scoring just one fewer point than Evbuomwan in as many games. Llewellyn finished fifth in the Ivy League in that category, behind the other four first-teamers.

Senior guard Ethan Wright will be appearing on the All-Ivy Second Team. Wright led the team in rebounds per game (7.0) and was third in scoring average, putting up 14.7 points per contest. These marks were good for fourth and sixth-best in the conference, respectively.

Finally, the fourth Tiger to be honored was senior forward Drew Friberg, who was named as an Academic All-Ivy selection. Friberg has hit the most three-pointers on the team this year, with 70 makes, and is fifth on the team in scoring with 9.7 points per game. He also has the best three-point percentage of any Tiger with more than 50 attempts, knocking down shots from behind the arc at an impressive 40.7 percent clip.

The five awards given to Tigers players were the most of any Ivy League team. The Tigers will look to prove they deserved these accolades in the upcoming Ivy League tournament.

Wilson Conn is a co-head editor for the Sports section at the ‘Prince’ who typically covers football, basketball, and breaking news. He is also a senior writer for the Podcast section. He can be reached at wconn@princeton.edu or on Twitter at @wilson_conn.