Abby Meyers named Becky Hammon Mid-Major Player of the Year Finalist

abby meyers yale
Meyers has led the Tigers in scoring this year with 17.7 points per game.
Courtesy of @PrincetonWBB/Twitter.

Women’s basketball’s senior leader is one step closer to winning a major national honor.

After being named as a semifinalist for the Becky Hammon Mid-Major Player of the Year Award two weeks ago, on Wednesday it was announced that Princeton senior guard Abby Meyers is a finalist for the award. Meyers joins four other finalists who were chosen from a list of ten semifinalists.

Meyers was crucial to the Tigers’ 14–0 Ivy League record this year, leading the team with 17.7 points per game and setting a program record with 61 three-pointers made. She has scored 12 points or more in each of the last 10 games and has scored 11 or more points in all of her appearances this season for the Tigers.

The team (22–4, 14–0 Ivy) won all but one Ivy League game this season by at least 18 points behind Meyers’ leadership, and is now ranked No. 24 in the country. Their next game will be in the Ivy League Tournament against Harvard on Friday at 4:30 p.m. Should Meyers and the Tigers emerge victorious, they will automatically clinch a spot in the NCAA Tournament; however, given their national ranking, there is a chance they might qualify in the case they don’t win the tournament in the conference they’ve dominated all season.

With the postseason is fast approaching, Meyers does not have to worry about the Becky Hammon award for weeks. This year’s award will be chosen during the Women’s Basketball Final Four in early April. 

Wilson Conn is a co-head editor for the Sports section at the Prince who typically covers football, basketball, and breaking news. He is also a senior writer for the Podcast section. He can be reached at wconn@princeton.edu or on Twitter at @wilson_conn.