Women’s basketball’s Abby Meyers named semifinalist for Becky Hammon Mid-Major Player of the Year

Abby Meyers Rhode Island game
Meyers was the only Ivy League player to be named a semifinalist.
Photo courtesy of GoPrincetonTigers.com.

One of Princeton’s brightest stars is being recognized on the national stage.

Senior guard Abby Meyers, a member of the women’s basketball team, was named as a semifinalist for the Becky Hammon Mid-Major Player of the Year on Wednesday. Named after Becky Hammon, a star player in the Mountain West Conference at Colorado State, the award is given out annually to recognize a player who excels outside of the bigger conferences within Division I. Hammon has since gained notoriety as a star in the Women’s National Basketball Association (WNBA) and as the first woman to ever serve as head coach during an NBA game. The first of this award was given out in 2020.

Meyers’ stardom this season has certainly reached the standard of the name attached to the award. While leading the Tigers to a 12–0 start to their Ivy League schedule and a road win over No. 24 Florida Gulf Coast, Meyers has led the team in scoring with an average of 18 points per game. Meyers has also been a sharpshooter for the Tigers this year, shooting a blistering 41.4 percent from three-point range and 45.8 percent from the field, an impressive clip for a guard. 

Meyers joins nine other players as semifinalists and is the only semifinalist from the Ivy League. The current shortlist of ten athletes will be cut down to five finalists next month, with the winner set to be announced near the end of the NCAA Tournament. 

Wilson Conn is a co-head editor for the Sports section at the ‘Prince’ who typically covers football, basketball, and breaking news. He is also a senior writer for the Podcast section. He can be reached at wconn@princeton.edu or on Twitter at @wilson_conn.