U. Announces New Heads of Mathey and Forbes

On Feb. 14, 2017, civil and environmental engineering professor Maria Garlock was announced as the new head of Forbes College. Garlock will step into the role, replacing Michael Hecht, who served two four-year terms before announcing his departure. Psychology and public affairs professor Stacey Sinclair was announced as the new head of Mathey College, succeeding Harriet Flower, who also held the position for two terms.

Garlock joined the University as an assistant professor in 2003 after completing a Ph.D. in structural engineering from Lehigh University. Garlock also received her bachelor’s degree from Lehigh in civil and environmental engineering as well as a master’s from Cornell University in civil engineering. Her current research focuses on innovative structural engineering for earthquake and fire response.

In her time at the University, Garlock has earned several accolades including the President’s Award for Distinguished Teaching in 2012, and the T.R. Higgins Lectureship Award in 2016 for contributing to literature on fabricated structural steel. She is also a fellow of the American Society for Civil Engineers Structural Engineering Institute.

“It is an honor to be named head of Forbes and to have the opportunity to integrate myself and my family in this lively student community,” Garlock said. “I also look forward to working with the Forbes staff, where as a team we can build even more opportunities for intellectual growth — all within an encouraging and inclusive environment for the students.”

Garlock is a member of the executive committee of the Council on Science and Technology and of the Program in Urban Studies. She is a Bridge Year faculty fellow and a member of the steering committee for the Princeton-Mellon Initiative in Architecture, Urbanism and the Humanities.

“We’re delighted by Maria’s appointment and look forward to welcoming her to the Forbes community,” said Dean of the College Jill Dolan. “We find her ideas about connecting the college to the neighboring Lewis Center exciting, and we know her energy and curiosity will propel new residential college initiatives.”

Sinclair has taught psychology in the Wilson School and the Center for African American Studies. She has researched the effects of group stereotyping and prejudice on individuals’ thoughts and actions. She taught at the University of Virginia before joining the University. Sinclair received her B.A. from Stanford University and her Ph.D. in social psychology from the UCLA.

“I am delighted and honored to be able to serve as the head of Mathey College,” Sinclair said. “My family and I are excited to get to know the students in Mathey, and to work with the incredible staff to foster a stimulating, warm and inclusive environment.”

Sinclair was awarded the Graduate Mentoring Award by the McGraw Center for Teaching and Learning in 2012. She is a fellow at the Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues, the American Psychological Association, the Society for Personality and Social Psychology, and the American Psychological Society. Sinclair was the University’s director of graduate studies in psychology from 2015 to 2017.

“We are thrilled to welcome Stacey to the Mathey College community,” Dolan said. “Her scholarship, her commitment to teaching and learning, and her interest in how urgent ideas about identities and social groups circulate within a culture will only enhance our residential college community.”

Over the summer, Sinclair will take up residence at the Mathey house at 23 University Place with her family. 

Garlock’s and Sinclair’s terms will begin on July 1.