Men’s swimming and diving season canceled following suspension

Men's Swimming and Diving

Ford Family Director of Athletics Mollie Marcoux Samaan has informed the men’s swimming and diving team that it will not compete in its two remaining regular season meets, or the end-of-season Ivy League Championships. The Tigers had been slated to face Navy on Jan. 7 and then both Harvard and Yale during a dual meet on Feb. 5.

The announcement follows an earlier decision to immediately suspend the men’s swimming and diving team due to a complaint regarding a racist and misogynistic email on the team’s university-sponsored listserv.

At the time of suspension last Thursday, Dec. 15, Samaan had said, “In the coming days we will make a determination about the status of the team’s remaining schedule.” Samaan’s most recent announcement extends the suspension and nullifies Princeton’s matches for the 2016-2017 season.

Prior to the suspension and subsequent cancellation, the Tigers achieved mixed results through four meets in November and December, winning two of five contests against different schools. Princeton was the defending Ivy League champion. Last year, Princeton won its 31st Ivy League title with a thrilling comeback against Harvard — the program’s seventh championship run in the last eight years.

This marks the third suspension of an Ivy League team since November due to allegations of racist or misogynistic behavior. Earlier this season, Harvard canceled the rest of its men’s soccer team's season, and Columbia suspended its wrestling team due to similar circumstances.