Fit Tips: Staying hydrated and why it matters

Ah, water. That thing we can’t live without, and all that jazz. While we all know that water is essential for functioning, our daily H2O intake isn’t something that many of us think about on a daily basis. Let’s be honest, when you wake up in the morning, the first thing on your mind probably isn’t anything along the lines of: “I’m so excited to drink my daily amount of water today!”

In reality, you’re probably looking forward to a delicious brunch. In fact, water is probably one of the last things on your mind as you go about your busy day — instead remembering your coffee for that energy jolt and your bagels and toast because they're delicious and you're hungry. How can water compare? It’s tasteless! And unless you’re severely dehydrated, water often doesn’t seem like a necessity. However, you may be unaware that water can in fact do much more good for you than you realize, including but not exclusive to providing you with energy, and eliminating those hunger pangs! While there are many benefits of drinking water, here are a couple of my top reasons and tricks to stay hydrated!

Reason: Helps keep your energy levels up. You know that afternoon slump that hits around 2-3 p.m.? I’ve found that drinking water consistently throughout the day helps me to avoid this post-lunch crash. Staying hydrated also helps me feel more motivated to have a good workout. If I’m tired before hitting the gym, I’m much less likely to put myself through a hard workout, when in reality, if I had a tiny bit more energy beforehand, I could probably mentally push through.

Reason: Flushes out toxins and salt.No, you don’t have to go on a juice cleanse to “get rid of toxins” — water can do the job! Furthermore, it helps counteract the bloating effects of the high-sodium foods you may be consuming.

Trick: Match each cup of coffee with a bottle of water. Coffee is great for your energy — until it runs out and leaves you feeling a little depleted. Ever noticed how coffee makes you go? That, friends, is the effect of a diuretic — aka something which drains water from your body. Try counteracting coffee’s water-sucking powers by drinking it alongside a bottle of water. Yay for more energy!

Trick: Put time-labels on your water bottle. If you are one of those people who remembers to bring their water bottle everywhere, but forgets to drink out of it, try this tip: Using a pen or marker, draw horizontal lines on your water bottle (best if it’s a disposable one, I suppose), and label each line with a certain time. For example, you could mark the lines at 2-hour intervals (9 a.m., 11 a.m., 1 p.m., etc). This tactic can help you keep on track, especially if you miss your target and realize how many hours behind you are.

Trick: Think water before food. Before you eat anything (whether it’s breakfast, lunch, dinner, or even a snack), try drinking a glass of water. Drinking water first thing in the morning on an empty stomach is a great way to wake up your body gently and to start off your day on a healthy note! During the day, if you find yourself reaching for a snack or an unhealthy option at the dining hall, drink a glass of water first. This can help reduce your initial hunger pangs, making it less likely for you to fill up on fast, sugary options, or to overeat.

o 2