Letter from the Editor

Community is a big deal at Princeton.

From the proud alumni who flock back to campus each June for Reunions to the thousands of enthusiastic students at athletic events, to the townies and tourists who stroll through campus and attend our events, Princeton is not complete without the community that surrounds it.

Despite coming from around the world and having varied backgrounds and interests, we all contribute to our Princeton community, even if we do so in different ways.Princeton would not be what it is today without the numerous academics, activists, actors, artists and athletes.

Among these roles is that of the archivist, which is whereThe Daily Princetonian comes in. The ‘Prince’ has informed the community consistently since it was founded in 1876 and has preserved the history of what has happened here.

EverySundaythroughThursdayfrom4:30 p.m.to the early hours of the morning, editors and staffers are at work in our newsroom editing articles and photographs and laying out the paper. This follows work throughout the day outside the newsroom by our hardworking staff coordinating content, conducting interviews, taking photographs, writing articles, listening and paying attention to what is happening in the community.

Community is important to the ‘Prince’ too. We work hard because we want to keep you informed, whether you reside within FitzRandolph Gate or outside it. We are a student newspaper in a university community, so our mission of sharing the news here is pretty simple. Regardless of whether it is “good” news or “bad” news, if you’re talking about it or if we think you will be talking about it, we want to give you the facts of what happened as well as what is being said so you can form your own opinion.

This may sound like a strange way of introducing the first issue of the 139th Managing Board of the ‘Prince.’ However, as the new Editor-in-Chief, I think it is sometimes easy to forget how the newspaper fits into our Princeton community and what goes into producing the paper that you read in the dining hall at breakfast or online during lectures.

We want you to know that we plan to work constructively with you over the course of the next year.We want to improve communications between the paper and the community, and we want to represent your voice in this paper. This newspaper cannot operate in a vacuum; we are nothing without you, the Princeton community.

If you are frustrated or inspired by the content of one of our articles, I encourage you to leave a comment on our website or write a letter to the editor that we can publish in our paper. We want to hear what you think and start a conversation on campus, so don't be shy!

If you hear or see something interesting that could be newsworthy, I encourage you to send an email totips@dailyprincetonian.com. Your tip could turn into a story that could start a conversation on campus or even around the world, thanks to our alumni readers outside of the Orange Bubble.

And if you want to contribute even more, then I encourage you to join us as part of our staff. Feel free to come to one of our open houses next week, or go todailyprincetonian.com/jointo learn more about how you can get involved with the ‘Prince.’ From reporters to photographers, coders to copy editors, layout designers to bloggers, there is a place for everyone at our paper and we would love to have you.

I'm really excited to lead this newspaper for the next year and I'm looking forward to interacting with the entire Princeton community. I'm committed to making this newspaper the best it can be in the next year, so I hope you're just as excited for the next year of news as I am.

Anna Mazarakis, a politics major from Montclair, N.J., is the incoming Editor-in-Chief of The Daily Princetonian. She can be reached at annacm@princeton.edu.