Death near campus parking garage ruled a suicide

The death of a 73-year-old man who fell from the Lot 7 parking garage on campus on May 31 and died from the fall has been ruled a suicide.

Nicholas Kafasis, of Cranbury, N.J., was found along the walking path near the West Parking Garage on Pyne Drive at around 11:30 a.m. The Department of Public Safety was the first to arrive at the scene, but turned the case over to the Princeton Police Department upon their arrival at around 11:33 a.m.

According to Sgt. Steve Riccitello of the PPD, Kafasis showed signs of life when he was found and was ultimately transferred to the University Medical Center of Princeton at Plainsboro, where he died.

Kafasis, who is not an alumnus and appears to have no connection to the University, was found on the third day of Reunions, a few hours before the P-Rade.

Riccitello said there was “nothing suspicious about the death” and added that there was no indication of a suicide note.

Kafasis’ vehicle was also found in the garage.

Mercer County Prosecutor’s Office Spokesperson Casey DeBlasio confirmed that the Mercer County Medical Examiner’s Office had ruled the death a suicide.

University Spokesperson Martin Mbugua said the University had no comment, and directed further questions to the Princeton Police Department.

A 23-year-old man committed suicide earlier this year by jumping from a parking garage on Spring Street, which is not located on the University campus.