Randall, Mirbagheri talk campus issues in last lap

Intellectualism. A moratorium that has incensed athletes. A candidate calling his peers "tools." These are the themes of this year's USG contest, one that has mirrored the competition and controversy of professional politics, and one that will end today, when students choose the USG president, vice president and other leaders in runoffs.

The two remaining USG presidential candidates, Sonya Mirbagheri '04 and Pettus Randall '04, squared off Monday night in a meeting at The Daily Princetonian. Voting began at midnight and will end at 11:59 tonight.

Mirbagheri, USG vice president, and Randall, a USG '04 senator, agreed on the importance of many campus issues but differed on the USG's relationship with the Tilghman administration. Mirbagheri said she would capitalize on ties she has formed with the administration. Randall said he would be more of an activist.

This contrast was most apparent in the two candidates' views on how the USG should respond to the Ivy League's seven-week moratorium on team practice, which President Tilghman supports. Both opposed the ban, arguing that the administration did not get enough student input before adopting it.

"I think we should have a sit-in or have a movement," Randall said. "When I talk about activism and really confronting the administration, I don't mean putting on boxing gloves and marching into President Tilghman's office."

"[But] we need to be more forceful, and sometimes that means confronting the administration and not backing down," he said. "Often close ties can prevent you from standing up for what you believe in."

Mirbagheri said she too would fight the moratorium but said being able to work with the administration will be central to achieving USG goals.

"To be an effective president, you need a balance," she said. "If you're really going to have change, you have to have a strong voice balanced with close relationships, so they're willing to listen. You will have the power and the ability to make them listen to your voice, and you should be voicing the concerns of students."

The candidates spoke after a close first round, in which Mirbagheri received 884 votes and Randall 544 votes, only two more than the third-place finisher, Josh Anderson '04. Anderson requested a recount, but it was turned down last night, USG treasurer Mike Kimberly '03 said.

The results of the runoff will rely heavily on voter turnout, which increased from last year's contest. If voter turnout stays strong, Randall will need to add a whole new contingent to his supporters.

Eeking out a considerable 432 votes, the most non-conventional candidate in this election, Octavio Carrasco '04, had said he would attract those students who had not voted in previous years. Carrasco's fliers were controversial, and he labeled the USG and the other candidates a "tool" of the administration.

"Octavio was definitely a factor [in upping turnout]," Mirbagheri said. "He definitely brought up some issues a lot of students can relate to."

Randall said Carrasco attracted students "who were dissatisfied with student government."

Carrasco was a "strong voice," Randall said, for students who want "an activist president [who] would could really stand up to an administration and push for the issues."

The two candidates have struggled to set themselves apart from one another on the issues.

Both said they support more talk about intellectualism, one of Anderson's major campaign ideas. They both also said, however, that this talk should not alienate any particular group.

They also said they support a Bicker bill of rights to protect students on the 'Street.' Mirbagheri cited her work on a women's issue committee and said she will encourage each club to appoint a "female liaison." Randall broached the ideas of Prospect-to-dorm shuttles on party nights and better campus lighting.

Despite this broad agreement, Mirbagheri and Randall said their non-USG activities would enhance their administrations uniquely.

Mirbagheri said her time with the Organization of Women Leaders has influenced her leadership in the USG since freshman year.

"It was a group of women who were amazing leaders and who really wanted to make structural change in the University," she said.

OWL has repeatedly endorsed her, and she has risen from senator to vice president to top presidential contender.

Though Randall got involved in the USG late in his sophomore year, he said his experiences with the Student Volunteers Council highlighted important campus issues.

"It showed me that the USG could have more of a role in volunteering," he said.

('Prince' Staff Writer Andrew Bosse assisted with this article.)