Program builds bridge from physics, math to biology

Beginning next fall, the University will host a new program — titled "Interfaces in Science" — to train physical and mathematical science graduate students in the interdisciplinary field of biological research.

The program — which will involve 10 graduate or postdoctoral students at one time — will be funded for its first five years by a $2.5-million grant from the Burroughs Wellcome Fund, a foundation dedicated to advancing medical research.

The program's main goal will be to educate students who exhibit impressive quantitative skills on how to put those skills to use in biology.

According to program co-director John Hopfield, a University molecular biology professor, it is often difficult for students who have majored in more quantitative fields — such as applied math or physics — to enter into research as biological scientists.

"Often there is too big an entry barrier into the biology field," said Hopfield, whose original training was in physics. "We hope this program will be a pathway to get students into biology, which they will do with their own special talents."Biology professor Simon Levin, who will co-direct the program with Hopfield, said, "This program is very broad, and represents the fact that throughout the biosciences there is more and more of a need for quantification. We see an increasing need for students trained in physics and mathematics wanting to take part in biological research."

Though the Burroughs Wellcome funding will cover the participation of only 10 students at any point, Levin said he and Hopfield hope to involve other qualified graduate students in the work.

Students selected for this interface work will remain in the program for two years with five new students entering each year. While they will not be covered by the funding, it is expected that most students will continue the research for an additional three years.

Funding to support students' work past the two-year mark will come from other sources, both inside and outside the University. Hopfield said students in their third through fifth years will seek financial resources in ways similar to any other graduate student.

Levin noted, however, that program administrators will help students find the necessary funding. "We won't force [thirdto fifth-year students] to find the funds for themselves," he said. "These students are guaranteed five years of support, the first two years from this grant, the last three from other sources." To enhance the interdisciplinary nature of the work, four other University departments — molecular biology, ecology and evolutionary biology, applied mathematics and physics — will be involved in the program.

In addition, the students will have the opportunity to apply their knowledge in a real-world setting at Princeton's neighboring Bell Laboratories, the Institute for Advanced Study and the NEC Research Institute.

Karyn Hede, communications director for the Burroughs Wellcome Fund, said, "The purpose of the program, from our perspective, was to get institutions to think in a multi-disciplinary fashion."

"Its purpose was not to increase the number of graduate students, but to train graduates students they already have in a more interdisciplinary way," Hede added.