Letters to the Editor

'Faith' articles stuck on superficialities

I have been following the "Faith at Princeton" series in the 'Prince' throughout the semester. The articles have recounted many of the superficial characteristics of religious groups on campus, discussing dietary restrictions, prayer times and social gatherings, as well as a smorgasbord of fairly disconnected facts about each community. I had been hoping for a more substantive exploration of Princeton's faith communities.

The everyday details of people's lives, particularly people of religious faith, are significant only as manifestations of underlying concepts. To examine those details without discussing the threads that bind them is to miss the very core of what it means to be a person of faith on Princeton's campus.

In many ways, Princeton is the ideal home for a Jew. There is so much understanding to be had here; if there is such a thing as truth, then much of it is to be found in our halls, libraries and classrooms. Nonetheless, a Jew recognizes that intellectual pursuits alone are no longer sufficient. They must always remain in the context of a complete dedication to bring joy, peace and knowledge to the world. The University's venerated adage, "Princeton in the nation's service and in the service of all nations" also reflects this ideal.

What is the challenge of "Faith at Princeton?" For me, it is this: How does a person of faith, presented with all the opportunities that life at the University offers, remain true to the moral compass to which he pays lip service every day? Much of what happens here is wonderful, but other things are not as worthwhile. It is often very hard to tell the difference. Following through on it can be difficult as well.

A faith community provides its members with the support — intellectual and psychological — to wake up every morning and grapple with the very challenging questions that everyday life poses. Each community fulfills this role in a unique way.

But ultimately, all people at Princeton grapple with these very difficult questions. If the University is committed to being in "the service of all nations," then a dialogue about these ideals may prove not only illuminating, but also highly relevant. I encourage the 'Prince' to revisit the question of "Faith at Princeton" with greater depth and heightened vigor. — Erez Lieberman '02