Triathlon club tests students' endurance and heart

When looking to exercise, some students head to the tow path for a jog, hop on the bikes in Dillon Gym's new fitness center or swim a few laps in Dillon's pool. But Conor Green '02 would rather do it all — run, bike and swim — in just one workout.

"We just started a couple of weeks ago," said Green, president of the newly founded Princeton University Triathlon Club. "We're getting off the ground right now."

About 25 students have officially joined the club, though others have expressed interest, Green said. The group plans to train for and compete in triathlons throughout the New York and New Jersey area. Some members have been working out together, though Green said he hopes to begin organizing more formal practices.

"We're trying to get more training as a group," he said. "We're really interested in turning this into something people can develop friendships from."

The triathlon — which usually involves a mile-long swim, a 15-to-20 minute bike ride and a three-to-six mile run — is becoming a more widely recognized sport, Green said. It will be a new event in this summer's Olympic Games, and several colleges around the country have triathlon teams.

"They're scattered around the country. Hopefully, the interest will keep growing," he said, predicting that in a few years, Princeton should be racing in intercollegiate triathlon club competitions. "We're trying to be on the forefront. We're starting early."

Club member Carolyn Goltra '03 said the group caters to people with many different skill levels. "Conor has done an amazing job of making it into something that everyone can do — both hard-core athletes who are going to participate in the races, and people who just want structure to their workouts," she said.

Goltra, a rower, said each member brings different ideas and talents to the club. "Most of them come from different sport backgrounds, and their individual knowledge adds a lot to the team as a whole," she said.

A member of the University's swim team, Green said he started the club as a way to diversify his workout once the swimming season ended. "It's keeping me from stagnating in my room," he said.

Casey McWatters '03, a member of the club, said she came to the University hoping to find a triathlon club, although she never had competed in one. When she spotted the signs Green had posted announcing the club, she signed up.

"Everyone thinks it's super hard-core," she said. "And everyone's response is, 'I can't do one of the events.' "

Green, who began participating in triathlons two years ago in his home state of Minnesota, said the swimming leg of the competition is easiest for him. "I pretty much dominate, especially in open water lake swims. It's fun to keep passing people on the way," he said. "But the same people I pass on the swim — all the old women — are passing me on the bike 10 minutes later. I definitely get passed on the bike."

Members plan to participate in their first competition as a club in Medford on March 26, Green said.