Planning retirement, heart of the history department looks back

The history department's undergraduate office is a flurry of activity. Faculty are bustling about, checking their mailboxes and confirming schedules, and two seniors are complaining about their imminent thesis deadline. At the center of this pandemonium is Jean Babey, jotting down notes, answering questions and conducting the disorder like a symphony.

This is a normal day for Babey, who has served as the history department's undergraduate administrator for the past 11 years. At the end of this month, she will leave her position, bringing with her cherished memories of the countless people whose lives she has touched.

"I remember when I first came here in 1989, the history department was the biggest in all of the humanities — we had 180 seniors. Just seniors only," she said. "I tried to know all of them by name. However, when they leave, I have to kind of empty out my mind and fill in more names. But I never forget the students because they are all special."

Babey's knack for remembering names has helped her reach near-legendary status among both professors and students.

"I'm really sad that she is leaving, because every time I go in, she recognizes me by name, and everyone else too," said Elizabeth Pierce '00, a history major. "She's friendly, loving, approachable and always ready to chat with me."

"Truly, Jean is going to be missed about as much as any faculty and staff would be," history professor John Murrin said. "She's been a superb secretary, and she knows all of the seniors by name. She's almost become an institution here in the department."

And the admiration goes both ways. Babey said she feels great affection for those in the history department. "I love the faculty here," she said. "James McPherson, Peter Brown, Robert Darnton — oh, I almost don't want to specify them by name because they are all so wonderful."

"I think part of the reason why the faculty is so warm and friendly is because they are all storytellers," she noted. "Each one of them looks at history in a certain way, and they try to explain it from their point of view."

It is still the students, however, who Babey feels are the most exciting to work with. She remembers with special affection Suzanne Huffman '90, who faced great adversity during her time at the University.

"While she was doing her thesis, she found out that she had cancer," Babey said. "However, she never asked for an extension for her work. I remember that she had thick, long beautiful hair, but every time she stopped by the office, you could see she was losing her hair because of all the chemotherapy treatment she was getting."

"Her sister would drive from home to take her to the hospital, and all this time she was working on her thesis," Babey recalled. "She turned in her thesis on time, and a year and a half later she died. I was so impressed with her persistence, and she never complained once. She was so brave and strong, and I think a great example to us all."

Babey is well known among history majors for her part in planning the celebrations for the thesis deadline. "We usually decorate the office and have all sorts of drinks and cookies set out, when they come in and turn in their theses," she said. "It's a big deal and we want to show them a good time, because they've just done a great accomplishment."

E-mail

She noted that the rise in the popularity of e-mail has made it more difficult for her to get to know the new history majors.

"Over the last two years especially, I haven't had as much personal contact with the students because of e-mail. I just don't see them as often, because they don't often come by the office," she said. "I used to see them when they had to drop off their papers, but now, they can even send these as attachments directly to their professors. Although e-mail is a very efficient means of communication, I think it is a shame because it takes away the personal contact."

After she leaves her position March 30, Babey said she has many plans, especially to spend more time with her two grandchildren. "I'd like to take some more time with my personal life, such as travelling, gardening, doing charity work and even auditing some of the history courses," she said. "If I had a choice, the first course I would take is Professor Gyan Prakash's seminar on Ghandi [HIS 417]."