Candidacy on the line, Bradley faces Super Tuesday

Voters across the nation will render their verdicts on Bill Bradley '65 and the rest of the presidential hopefuls today, as 16 states hold Democratic showdowns and 12 host Republican contests in the judgement day of the presidential nomination race.

The former New Jersey senator's candidacy is on the line in today's primaries and caucuses, and there is wide consensus that he must win several states — including at least one of the major contests — to remain viable as a candidate.

California and New York are Super Tuesday's biggest prizes, offering each state's Democratic primary winner 367 and 243 delegates respectively. More than 1,300 Democratic delegates are up for grabs today — 2,170 are needed to win the nomination.

Behind in the polls

Polls, however, do not show Bradley leading in any of the states holding Democratic contests today.

"He cannot go on if he loses the overwhelming number of states," said Curtis Gans of the Committee on the Study of the American Electorate, a political think-tank in Washington, D.C. Though Bradley has enough money to continue, Gans said, "It would just be embarrassing."

University politics professor Fred Greenstein said he expects Bradley to drop out of the race after today if he fails to win a substantial number of states. Vice President Al Gore — a Tennessee native enjoying strong support from African Americans — has a strong advantage in the next round of the presidential nomination fight, to be held March 14 in several southern states.

Campaigning hard over the weekend, Bradley dashed from New York to Missouri, Maryland and Ohio — and back. He spent yesterday in New York City and will be canvassing the city again today.

New York had earlier been considered a possible stronghold for Bradley, a former New York Knicks star. But his support has waned in that state, and now victory there appears elusive. Gore and Bradley have both focused on New York in recent days, and the vice president now has a commanding lead in polls.

Bradley's chances were damaged further Sunday as The New York Times endorsed Gore and Republican candidate Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz).

Bradley, however, picked up an endorsement from El Diario, the city's leading Spanish-language newspaper. The paper cited his "concern and support for issues concerning Hispanics and, in particular, those living in urban communities."

Bradley also received the endorsement of the San Francisco Examiner on Sunday. He raised a large amount of money in California early in his race, and hopes that support will translate into electoral success.