Alumnus to monitor NJ police force in bid to end racial profiling

Federal and New Jersey state officials announced Wednesday that former federal prosecutor Alberto Rivas '82 will be responsible for monitoring the operations of the New Jersey State Police following accusations of racial discrimination against the department.

The reforms — which were mandated in an agreement made with the U.S. Department of Justice — are part of a response to reports of racial profiling, internal discrimination and poor handling of civilian complaints by the department.

The civil rights section of the U.S. justice department began an investigation of the New Jersey State Police four years ago after officers allegedly detained minority drivers on the New Jersey Turnpike based on their race.

In an interview yesterday, Rivas said one of his primary objectives as an official monitor would be to improve the public's impression of the state police department. The department's reputation has been damaged by allegations of discrimination by both civilians and officers within the department.

"There is a commitment among state police officials to ensure 100-percent confidence in the department," he said. "My role is to assist them in reaching that goal."

Rivas, working with law enforcement expert James Ginger, will monitor and review state police operating procedures to ensure that the racially discriminatory practices the department acknowledged last year are stopped.

As official independent monitors, Rivas and Ginger will review department misconduct investigations and reports, according to Consent Decree — the official agreement made between New Jersey Attorney General John Farmer and the U.S. justice department.

Had such an agreement not been reached, the justice department could have pursued a civil rights lawsuit against the state police.

Rivas will report to U.S. District Court Judge Mary L. Cooper, who is responsible for enforcing the legal settlement of the civil rights charges pending against the state police.

This is not Rivas' his first experience reviewing law enforcement agencies. He said he was responsible for conducting several investigations of police and other law enforcement officials during his time in the U.S Attorney's office in Newark.

He said he prosecuted a case against several corrections officers in working in the Hudson County jail. "They had been charged with the brutal beating of an inmate there, leading to his death," Rivas said.

Rivas noted that investigation and monitoring law enforcement agencies can be particularly difficult because prosecutors often work closely with police officers. "There's an inherent tension," he said. "But I find most law enforcement officials appreciate getting rid of those few bad apples."

Rivas, who was a history major at Princeton, earned his law degree at Rutgers University.

(The Associated Press contributed to this report.)