Letters to the Editor

D-Bar another case of grad student neglect

The D-Bar fiasco is but another chapter in the saga of continual neglect of graduate students at Princeton. A number of other graduate students and I have long observed a difference in attitude toward the affairs of undergraduate and graduate students: different treatments for customers and employees, we suppose. Well, actually, graduate students do not get a free ride. We do pay our way through. We pay, with the best time of our lives. In exchange for a meager stipend or fellowship, this University receives the service of some of the brightest minds at the height of their intellectual productivity. The sacrifice is all the greater in today's economic environment.

The reputation of this University, to a very large extent, rests on the quality of teaching and the research it produces. And graduate students are indispensable in both of these areas. In the operational budget for fiscal year '98-'99, 27 percent of the University's income is from sponsored research, an increase from 16.1 percent in fiscal year '97-'98. In the years to come, we can only expect this figure to go up. It is time for us to demand attention commensurate with the contribution we make to this institution.

Both the National Research Council and U.S. News and World Report publish rankings of graduate schools. We could, nay, have a responsibility to let them and others know about what it's like at Princeton. The Internet is another medium through which we could notify prospective graduate students, giving them — the future paying customers — the ability to choose. Min-Hao Michael Lu GS