Support the ‘Prince’

Please disable ad blockers for our domain. Thank you!

Women's basketball receives presidential treatment during Washington, D.C., visit

When your aunt resides at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue and you're in the neighborhood, it's worth stopping by. Freshman forward Leslie Robinson of Princeton women's basketball (4-0 overall) had first lady Michelle Obama ’85 (née Robinson) among her supporters duringSunday's63-56 win over American University (0-3). Robinson is the daughter of Craig Robinson ’83, Michelle's brother and two-time Ivy League Player of the Year under the legendary former men's basketball head coach Pete Carril.

Earlier in the weekend, the undefeated Princeton squad took a tour of the White House, including, of course, a visit to the presidential residence's basketball court.

Having lost their stranglehold on the Ivy League title last season — Penn broke Princeton's four-season championship streak — the Tigers have come back with a vengeance.Sunday'svictory over the Eagles marked a fourth straight win for head coach Courtney Banghart's side.

Courtesy of precision shooting, Princeton jumped out to an early 11-3 lead. The home team responded to tie the score twice during the first period, but they could not contain the Tiger offense. After twenty minutes of play, the visitors had tallied 36 points to their opponents' 26.

Princeton's first-half efficiency ratings read neat 50.0's across the board (FG%, 3PT% and FT%). During that same period, American shot 38.5 percent from the field and 60.0 percent from beyond the arc.

The second half's first 10 minutes saw Princeton pile on the points, as senior guard Blake Dietrick's three-point conversion extended the Tigers' lead to 50-35 with12:55remaining on the clock. Rallying against this deficit, American drew within 5 points of the visitors' total. This would prove too little, too late, as the Eagles were forced to foul and send their opponents to the free throw line in an attempt to pull off the last-minute comeback.

Despite her family's support, Robinson did not manage to record a point during her 11 minutes of play. She did, however, collect five rebounds while adding two assists.

Dietrick, who played all 40 minutes, led Princeton in scoring with 19. Junior guard Michelle Miller added 15 points, while guard/forward combo junior Annie Tarakchian managed her third career double-double with 13 points and 11 rebounds.

During Thanksgiving break, the Tigers will travel to Cancun, Mexico, for the Cancun Challenge, during which competition they will face Wake Forest University, the University of Montana and the University of North Carolina at Charlotte.

Comments