By the Numbers: Water polo and Track and Field flip flop

Women in black swimsuits gather in a circle
No.12 Women's Water Polo huddles up before their game against No.18 Wagner on the Tiger's Senior Day on March 28.
Courtesy of @pwaterpolo / Instagram

Each week, Sports and Data editors analyze recent athletic competitions to provide analysis and insight on the happenings of Princeton athletics and individual players across the 38 intercollegiate teams at Princeton. Whether they are record-breaking or day-to-day, statistics deliver information in concise ways and help inform fans who might have missed the action. Read past By the Numbers coverage here.

Princeton Tigers: April 4–April 10

Twenty-seven games and matches were played across 14 sports and eight U.S. states over the past week. Of the 17 games where only one team came out on top, the Tigers won 64.7 percent of matches and 63.6 percent of games within the Ivy League. This was a slight dip from last week, when the Tigers emerged victorious in 76.5 percent of matchups. Multiple-day meets and tournaments are counted individually for each day of the competition. Competitions with more than one event or individual results such as golf and track and field are not included in our win percentage analysis.

If I Had Two Dozen Goals

Last Saturday, No. 17 women’s lacrosse trounced Columbia 24–12, the most goals in an Ivy League game in over 40 years. Junior attacker McKenzie Blake makes yet another By the Numbers appearance with five goals, and sophomore attacker Jami MacDonald scored a hat trick and doled out three assists as the Tigers doubled up the Lions.

Frenemies

Last week, sophomore jumper Georgie Scoot surpassed fellow sophomore and close friend Alex Kelly's outdoor long jump record with a leap of 6.28m, but Kelly got her revenge down in Miami this past Saturday. She narrowly beat out Scoot in the triple jump with a distance of 13.02m to Scoot's 12.84m. The two nationally-ranked Tiger jumpers are sure to continue battling each other for the rest of their time at Princeton. 

Sublime Seventeen

The Tigers played three baseball games at Brown this week, winning the first and last of the series. In the first game, Princeton scored 17 runs for a final score of 17–8. Seventeen was the most runs scored by the Tigers against Brown since 2016 when the Tigers won 25–7.

Enchanting Eight

No. 12 women’s water polo played three games this week in Pennsylvania, defeating Michigan, St. Francis, and Bucknell, all teams within the CWPA conference in which the Tigers compete. With a five-game winning streak, the Tigers remain undefeated in the conference with an 8–0 record. Only two regular season games remain before the CWPA championships from April 26 to April 28.

“We don't talk about the fact that we are undefeated but it is in the back of our mind for the end of the season,” Sophomore Shanna Davidson wrote to The Daily Princetonian.

Davidson had one goal against Michigan, four against St. Francis, and a hat trick against Bucknell. 

“Our team has been thrilled with our recent success,” Davidson wrote. “Harvard and Michigan are our biggest rivals in our conference and we always play with so much energy going against them. It has been great to get some big wins vs. our biggest rivals this season, but we know that there is still work to be done. Winning only pushes us to work harder in the pool during practice and continue to have this success.”

Grass Is Always Greene-r

Sophomore thrower Shea Greene took first place back to Old Nassau during track and field's visit down to the Sunshine State. Her sixth round throw catapulted her back in front with a distance of 50.88m, leading the competition at the Hurricane Alumni Invitational. 

Hit Me Baby One More Time

Baseball knocked around Brown's pitching staff for a total of 18 hits in their drubbing of the home team up in Providence, including two or more hits by six different Tigers. First-year designated hitter Jake Kernodle led the way with three hits, and sophomore pitcher Justin Kim earned his second win on the season with six innings and only three earned runs.

Sunshine Success

First-year sprinter Jackson Clarke blew past the elite competition at the track and field meet hosted by the University of Miami, winning the 200m race with a time of 20.77 seconds.

All in all, it was a fair week for Tiger athletics, especially at home, with only one loss in Princeton. Spring sports are now in full swing and will continue conference play. Check back next week to stay updated on all things Princeton athletics — by the numbers.

Harrison Blank is an assistant Sports editor at the ‘Prince.’

Andrew Bosworth is head Data editor and Sports contributor for the ‘Prince.’

Please send all corrections to corrections[at]dailyprincetonian.com.