Midterms Sweet Treat Round Up

Five images of desserts, featuring vanilla cake with red frosting, two balls of cookie dough, a portion of rice pudding, banana whip with M&Ms, and frozen yogurt.
A collage of five desserts.
Olivia Pettit / The Daily Princetonian

With midterms, papers, problem sets, and a full week of classes, it can be easy to get lost in the chaos and forget to take a break. But this is the exact time we should be taking breaks — we need to rest and recover between assignments and celebrate our continued work!

Like many of my fellow Princetonians, one of my favorite study breaks is picking up a sweet treat from any of the numerous bakeries and coffee shops available to us. Here’s a list of places where you should go to satiate your sweet treat desires:

Best for Late-Night Studying: Murray Dodge

We’ve all been there: it’s 10pm, you still have work to do, and suddenly the craving for something sweet hits. Luckily, Princeton has a solution for you: Murray Dodge Cafe.

As most students know, the cookies offered each day are constantly changing, with consistent availability of vegan and gluten-free options. When I went for a midweek pick-me-up, three types of cookies awaited me: vegan oatmeal raisin with strawberry, vegan oreo chocolate chip, and banana chocolate chip. I tried all three. The banana chocolate chip was my favorite — it was the chewiest and had the richest flavor. The vegan cookies tasted just like regular cookies, free from the cakey texture that can sometimes plague egg-free desserts. The chocolate chips were melty in both cookies that featured them, and the strawberries added the right amount of fruity sweetness to the oatmeal raisin. Each cookie was warm and complemented the mug of hot cocoa I made at the beverage station. Cookies in hand, I felt re-energized and ready to continue my late-night studying.

Best for When You’re Feeling Fancy: Chez Alice

With its charming decor, tasty drinks, and beautifully-crafted desserts, Chez Alice is perfect for a refined snack. Seating is limited, but if you manage to snag a table, you’ll get to watch countless Princetonians and tourists visit to enjoy the pastries.

On my visit, I tried their single-serving cassis cake, which consists of vanilla cake, chocolate mousse, and blackcurrant mousse, topped with fresh berries and a dark chocolate square. The tartness of the blackcurrant balanced the sweet vanilla and the rich chocolate. The cake was slightly dry from sitting in the display case, but eaten with the double mousse, I barely noticed. In the picturesque cafe, I felt as though I could properly reward myself for a long day of work.

Best for a Study Snack: Olives

While Olives is traditionally thought of as the place to go for a quick breakfast or lunch, they also have a wide variety of desserts. Although I was tempted by their self-proclaimed “famous baklava,” I instead opted for the rice pudding, which had a decent portion size and a healthy dusting of cinnamon on top.

Sweet and creamy, the rice pudding was a perfect snack while I studied for an upcoming exam. It had a very light vanilla flavor, and the rice granules added depth to the milky texture. With the recent spring weather, I was even able to sit outside their storefront and enjoy the bustle of Witherspoon Street.

Best for a Fun Experience: Fruity Yogurt

Whenever I want my sweet treat to be the highlight of a trip to Nassau Street, I get frozen yogurt (froyo). Unlike other frozen desserts, everyone gets to prepare their own froyo cup themselves, offering ultimate customization. When I visited, I filled my cup with a combination of plain tart and peach. For toppings, I was in the mood for something reminiscent of a smoothie bowl, so I went with slivered almonds, housemade granola with pepitas, blueberries, mango, toasted coconut, and a drizzle of honey. I enjoyed the combination of flavors I tried, although I would probably recommend fewer toppings, since they competed with each other. The plain tart yogurt was smooth and creamy — a perfect base for anyone looking for something a little less sugary than vanilla. The peach flavor, one of the weekly specials, was a little icier, almost like a cross between froyo and Italian ice, and was quite a bit sweeter than I expected. However, when it comes to their fruity flavors, I prefer the strawberry froyo, which has a unique tartness.

In addition to chocolate and vanilla soft serve and a handful of mainstay froyo flavors, Fruity Yogurt rotates in three new flavors each week, so you’re always able to try something new. And for boba fans, Fruity Yogurt offers a wide variety of bubble tea options.

Best for a Unique Frozen Treat: Bent Spoon

One of the great sweet treat debates of Princeton is whether you go to Bent Spoon or Thomas Sweet, and for me, the winner has to be Bent Spoon for one reason: banana whip. A frozen banana blended to the texture of soft serve, banana whip is as creamy and delicious as ice cream while being light on your stomach, and with freshly-made whipped cream and in-house M&M’s? Perfection.

Along with my beloved banana whip, I also taste-tested the “peanut butter, peanut butter cookie” flavor, which I’d never seen available before. It was amazing — with peanut butter cookie crumbs throughout and a nutty ice cream base, the flavor truly did taste like peanut butter through and through. I really enjoyed the slight crunch of the cookie bits breaking up the texture. If I were to get a cup of it, I would probably add magic shell (almost like an ice cream Reese’s cup!) or their homemade hot fudge sauce to add a little more richness and layers to the dessert.

For this semester’s midterms week, remember to take care of yourself and reward yourself for all of the hard work you have been doing this semester. Princeton has endless options for sweet treats that go far beyond this list: Maman, Thomas Sweet, Small World, and even the dining halls! With the versatility and quality of Princeton’s dessert shops, patisseries, and other sweet snack spots, you really can’t go wrong.

Lulu Pettit is a contributing writer for The Prospect at the ‘Prince’ who enjoys writing about food, movies, and local businesses. She can be reached at lp3153@princeton.edu, or on Instagram @itslulupettit.