USG allocates funding and introduces new event registration format

People sitting an a lecture hall.
The Mar. 3 USG meeting.
Calvin Grover / The Daily Princetonian

The Undergraduate Student Government (USG) Senate gathered for its fourth meeting of the spring semester on Sunday, March 3, introducing a new event registration format and allocating more Project Board funding.

USG President Avi Attar ’25 kicked off the meeting by lauding the recent success of athletics programming, particularly highlighting the weekend’s basketball game. 

Associate Dean of Undergraduate Students Ian Deas and Assistant Dean for Student Programming Jelani Johnson delivered a 15-minute presentation on event registration. Their presentation outlined the process for transitioning to a new student organization event registration system. Ultimately, they said, the goal is to consolidate the existing registration systems into one unified platform.

The new registration system is set to launch on March 18. Currently, the University uses a variety of platforms, including the Campus Life Event Registration System (CLEVER), MyPrincetonU, and the Event Management System (EMS). The University wants to transition completely from CLEVER to MyPrincetonU — this will involve various procedural steps, including presentations, a virtual town hall, and individual consultations.

Acknowledging the challenges of implementing a new system mid-semester, Dean Deas and Dean Johnson reassured student groups that they would not need to re-register existing events.

“We recognize some inherent challenges with respect to launching a new registration system in the middle of the spring semester. So first we’re preparing our staff and campus partners to extend additional grace and understanding during this semester, this transition period,” Dean Deas said. “But also, we don’t want you to have to duplicate work. So anything that’s already in the cloud or even if it’s for April or May, you don’t have to go back in and re-register in the new system.”

USG also unanimously approved funding for 13 student organizations, many of which are identity-based spaces. Groups that received funding include the Center for Jewish Life, Muslim Student Association, Central Asian Student Association, Students for Prison Education, Abolition, and Reform (SPEAR), Princeton Table Tennis Club, Princeton Entrepreneurship Club, Chabad, Rah Rah Princeton Arts Magazine, Swara, Black Pre-Medical Society, Princeton Woodcarving Club, Sikhs of Princeton, and Acts of Kindness.

Notable events receiving funding include the Muslim Student Association’s Ramadan fast-a-thon, the Central Asian Student Association’s Spring Equinox gathering, and SPEAR’s panel discussion on the Elizabeth Detention Center.

During a public comment session of the meeting, a representative from SPEAR raised concerns about the transparency of meetings between the USG and the Department of Public Safety (PSAFE). SPEAR expressed concerns about the University’s installment of security cameras inside of residential entryways last year, potentially sidelining student input in the decision, and PSAFE’s procedure for welfare checks. In response, Attar emphasized the commitment to ensuring that University services meet student needs. 

Attar said, “I don’t want to speak too much on behalf of PSAFE as they’re their own administrative entity, but what I can say is that they’re committed to working with students to make sure that their services meet student needs and also that they have channels of communication with students, as I understand it.”

USG meetings are open for all students to attend and are held on Sundays from 4 to 5 p.m. in Robertson Hall 016.

Alena Zhang is a staff News writer for the ‘Prince.’