As campus expands, all student mailing addresses changed

Colorful signs next to a row of grey panels which are mail lockers
The mail lockers in Frist Campus Center keep students in anticipation for their packages.
Jean Shin / The Daily Princetonian

In early July, students and faculty received an email outlining major changes to Princeton’s mail services system that students should expect this summer and upon return to campus in September. 

Under the new policy, email notifications about deliveries will arrive from the new address lockers@princeton.edu due to an updated software system.  Letters will now be collected at the package room, Frist 110, with the original mail room, Frist 106, shutting down. And lastly, each student received a new Frist address.

The three changes have different causes. Regarding the merging of mail and package pick-up, the University noted that in the past five years, Princeton Mail Services has seen a 4 percent yearly increase in packages received and a 10 percent decrease in letters from 186,112 in 2019 to 166,328 in 2023.

This uptick motivated the decision to combine package and mail collection although University spokesperson Michael Hotchkiss said he also believes it will be more convenient for students. Now, students can gather everything at once which will limit the amount of mail that is left behind entirely despite frequent email reminders, as is not uncommon according to Hotchkiss.

“Packages are more important, it seems to the students, and they sometimes forget to collect their mail. The single location for package/mail collection will allow our team to distribute both packages and mail at the same time from one location.” Hotchkiss wrote in an email to the Prince. 

The changed addresses at Frist, according to the email, respond to the increased class size. The University welcomed its largest class in history to campus last year. The Class of 2026 is the first in a four-year expansion program that will increase the undergraduate student body by 500 students. 

The new locker numbers will keep students together based on their graduation year and make distribution easier for Mail Services staff.

Mail privacy remains a concern, given a student’s old number may be assigned to a different student. Data privacy has been a topic of concern at the University after confidential disability housing information was inadvertently shared widely earlier this year. While students are encouraged to send friends, family, and all other correspondents their new locker numbers, mail services said that they will keep track of previous assignments.

“If you currently have mail and packages arriving at your old First address, not to worry. We have made note of all old mailbox numbers and will ensure that your mail and packages are delivered to you,” the email read.

Rebecca Cunningham is an assistant News editor for the ‘Prince.’

Please send corrections to corrections[at]dailyprincetonian.com.