Devin Cannady ’20 returns to NBA, signing 10-day contract with Orlando Magic

Cannady is a senior guard for the men's basketball team
Courtesy of GoPrincetonTigers

Former standout Princeton basketball player Devin Cannady ’20 signed a 10-day contract with the Orlando Magic on Thursday, March 31. Cannady has signed two previous deals with the Magic and has been a key member of the team’s G League affiliate for the past couple of years. 

Cannady was a member of the Princeton men’s basketball team from 2015–2019 — a period during which he was a two-time All-Ivy selection. He averaged over 14 points per game during his time as a Tiger. In 2017, he helped lead Princeton to an Ivy League championship and a spot in the NCAA Tournament. The following season, he averaged 16.7 points per game and was an All-Ivy second team honoree. 

Cannady finished his college career with 1,515 points — the fifth-most in Princeton history — and ranked third all-time in program history for three-pointers made. He also finished as the program’s all-time leader in free throw percentage with a career mark of 89.6 percent.

Cannady has previously signed deals with the Magic in 2020 and 2021. After being waived in 2020, he joined the Orlando Magic’s G League affiliate, the Lakeland Magic, where he averaged 11.7 points per game and shot 40 percent from three-point range during the 2020-21 season. The Magic went on to win the G League championship with Cannady scoring 22 points in the final and being named championship game MVP. He was one of only three Ivy Leaguers to compete in the playoffs that year. 

His stellar play in the G League earned him another 10-day deal in 2021. Cannady appeared in eight games for the Orlando Magic, scoring a career-high 17 points in his second-to-last game against the New Orleans Pelicans. Unfortunately, in the ensuing game against the Indiana Pacers, Cannady suffered a gruesome ankle injury that kept him out for nearly a year.

The Orlando Magic currently has a record of 20–59, the worst record in the NBA; they sit last in the Eastern Conference. Cannady made his first appearance of the season in the Magic’s recent loss against the New York Knicks — scoring four points — and will hope to prove himself to the team during their last three games before the regular season ends on April 10. 

Kameron Wolters is a contributor to the Sports section at the 'Prince.' He can be reached at kw9217@princeton.edu or on Instagram at @kam.wolters.