Devin Cannady ’20 signs 10-day contract with NBA's Orlando Magic

CANNADY_PRO_HEADER.jpeg
Devin Cannady ‘20 helped the Tigers win the Ivy League Tournament in 2017. 
Courtesy of GoPrincetonTigers

Princeton has its first NBA player since Steve Goodrich ’98.

Devin Cannady, who played for the Tigers from 2015–19, signed a 10-day contract with the Orlando Magic on Tuesday. The terms of the deal have not been disclosed. Cannady had previously signed a preseason contract with the Magic on Nov. 27, 2020, but was released prior to the NBA season.

During his time at Princeton, Cannady played in 104 games, scoring 14.6 points per game and shooting 40.3 percent from three-point range. He was a key member of the Tigers’ 2017 squad, which went undefeated in Ivy League play and won the 2017 Ivy League Tournament. The team lost narrowly to Notre Dame in the NCAA tournament. 

Cannady was also named as an All-Ivy honorable mention that year, and was named to the All-Ivy second team in 2017–18, averaging 16.7 points per game. He is the program’s all-time leader in free throw percentage, fifth all-time in points, and third all-time in three-pointers made.

Recently, Cannady had made a name for himself in the basketball world by leading the Orlando Magic G League affiliate, the Lakeland Magic, to the G League championship. Cannady was named Finals MVP, scoring 22 points in the final game against Delaware. 

“He had a good year,” Orlando head coach Steve Clifford told members of the media Tuesday. “Obviously, it makes sense for us because he knows what we’re doing. He actually stepped in today. He’s very bright and he’s a very good competitor. I’d say most of it he was able to do pretty seamlessly.”

The Magic currently have a 17–33 record, putting them second-to-last in the NBA’s Eastern Conference. A number of recent injuries at the guard position should give Cannady the chance to contribute in the near future. 

“This is a great feeling,” Cannady told reporters after practice Tuesday. “I worked for this. It was a goal of mine to get to this level. I had a great training camp with [the Magic]. I love the staff here, the coaching staff and players. I’m excited to get going and be a part of this rebuild for the next 10 days and make the most of this opportunity.”