Weekend recap: Men’s soccer are Ivy League champs, ice and field hockey teams sweep

barlow.png
Head coach Jim Barlow on the soccer field.
Courtesy of goprincetontigers.com

Women’s ice hockey vs. RPI, Union 

After their home openers against the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) Engineers and the Union University Bulldogs, the No. 5 women’s ice hockey team remains undefeated.

On Friday evening, Princeton defeated RPI 4–1. First-year forward Sarah Paul opened the game with two goals in the first and second period, assisted by senior Sharon Frankel and first-year forward Ellie Marcovsky. Junior forward Maggie Connors followed with a goal of her own, unassisted. RPI scored late in the second period, but the Tigers continued to dominate the ice with Marcovsky adding another point to the scoreboard in the third period with assists from first-year defender Dominique Cormier and first-year forward Mia Coene. 

Following their first win of the weekend, the Tigers added to their win streak and claimed a 4–2 victory over Union. While Union was the first to score, Princeton quickly took control of the game with four consecutive goals. Sophomore forward Annie Kuehl, junior defender Solveig Neunzert, junior forward Maggie Connors, and senior forward Sharon Frankel all added to the team’s total. Princeton is now 4–0 overall. They will be hosting the Quinnipiac Bobcats on Friday, Nov. 12 at Hobey Baker Rink for their next conference game.

Men’s ice hockey vs. Brown, Yale 

The men’s ice hockey team claimed victory in both Ivy openers against the Brown Bears and the Yale Bulldogs this past weekend.

Princeton won 6–3 against Brown on Friday evening. The Bears were the first to score, but Princeton quickly took over, scoring five consecutive goals of their own. Sophomore defender Mike Kennedy scored first for the Tigers, followed by sophomore forwards Ian Murphy and Mackenzie Merriman, first-year defender David Ma, and junior defender Pito Walton. Senior forward Corey Andonovski contributed one goal in the last period. Princeton’s dominance was shown by lopsided offensive statistics — the Tigers had 47 shots to the Bears’ 16.

The next day, the team defeated the Yale Bulldogs 6–2. The Tigers scored four times in the first two periods, gaining a 4–1 advantage and leaving Yale little time to close the gap. While the Bulldogs scored twice in the game, Princeton was quick to maintain the four goal lead, adding two more to the scoreboard themselves. Goals were scored by sophomore forward Nick Seitz, Merriman, senior defender Mark Paolini, senior forward Christian O’Neill, senior forward Finn Evans, and Murphy.

The Tigers will be playing in a non-conference game at LIU on Friday, Nov. 12.  

Football vs. Dartmouth

No. 16 Princeton Tigers’ undefeated streak came to an end Friday evening after a 7–31 loss to the Dartmouth Big Green in Hanover. In the first quarter,  Dartmouth scored two touchdowns giving them a 14–0 lead. Although Princeton was able to somewhat bridge the gap with a touchdown of their own in the second quarter, the Big Green’s defense held out strong enough to prevent the Tigers from gaining any momentum. A field goal and two more touchdowns from Dartmouth gave them a 24 point advantage. The two teams are now tied for first place in the Ivy League with 4–1 records. Princeton will be taking on Yale for their season finale on Saturday, Nov. 13 at 1 p.m.

Check out this article for full details of last Friday’s game.

Women’s volleyball vs. Brown, Yale 

Women’s volleyball suffered another league defeat on the road against Brown, falling 0–3 (17–25, 22–25, 19–25) to the Bears. This was their second loss to Brown this season. Brown was able to hold Princeton off in all three sets. Junior outside hitter Elena Montgomery led with 16 kills, first-year outside hitter/right side hitter Nicole Dankinova with three aces, junior setter Lindsey Kelly with 34 assists, and junior libero Cameron Dames with 22 digs.

After their loss last Friday, Princeton rebounded on Saturday with a 3–0 win against the Yale Bulldogs (25–22, 25–20, 27–25). Again, Montgomery led with 13 kills, sophomore libero Krystal Raymundo with five aces, Kelly with 35 assists, and Dames with 16 digs. Currently 14–6 overall and 8–4 in conference, the Tigers have two more league games left. They will be playing in Dillon Gymnasium against Columbia on Friday, Nov. 12 and Cornell on Saturday, Nov. 13 to close the regular season.

Field Hockey vs. Columbia

For their final game of the regular season, Princeton field hockey hosted the Columbia Lions on Bedford Field, winning 5–1. Princeton dominated the field with five different Tigers scoring: junior midfielders Sammy Popper and Hannah Davey, junior forward Claire Donovan, sophomore midfielder Sam Davidson, and sophomore forward Grace Schulze. Although Princeton entered the game hoping to share the Ivy title with Harvard, the Crimson finished undefeated in the league following their win against Brown this weekend. The Tigers ended the regular season with a record of 10–7 overall and 6–1 in the league, second behind Harvard. Princeton was not selected to continue in the NCAA offseason, officially ending their season.

Check out this article for more details on Saturday’s game. 

Men’s Soccer vs. Penn

With two games left in the regular season, Princeton’s men’s soccer secured the Ivy League Champions title with their 1–0 win against Penn this past Saturday evening. Neither team managed to score for the majority of the first and second half. With less than six minutes left in the game, sophomore forward Walker Gillepsie hit one into the top left corner of the net. The triumph marks Princeton’s 10th Ivy League title in program history, their most recent being in 2018. The Tigers will be playing Yale on Sherrerd Field to close their regular season on Saturday, Nov. 13.

Check out this article for full details on Saturday’s game.

Women’s Soccer vs. Penn

No. 14 women’s soccer ended their regular season on a high note, claiming a 1–0 victory over Penn on the road. While neither team managed to score in the opening half, Princeton was quick to gain a one goal advantage early in the second. A long pass down the field from junior defender Madison Curry to junior midfielder Marissa Hart set up the perfect opportunity for Hart to score. Hart outran Penn’s defense to the ball and knocked the ball into the bottom left corner of the net, scoring the only and winning goal of the game. The Tigers ended their regular season 14–2–1 overall and 6–1 in the league with one loss against the Brown Bears. Today, the Tigers were selected for the NCAA tournament and have a first-round matchup against Vermont (12–5–1) at 6 p.m. on Nov. 12 on Sherrerd Field.