Women’s soccer defeats Penn in season finale, earns spot in NCAA tournament

wsoc_penn_2021.jpeg
The Tigers celebrate their win against Penn.
Greg Carroccia / GoPrincetonTigers

Princeton women’s soccer wrapped up their season Saturday with a 1–0 win over Penn. Junior midfielder Marissa Hart scored the lone goal of the match in the 65th minute and Princeton held the fort defensively to complete its 10th shutout of the season.

The Tigers finish the season at 14–2–1 overall and 6–1 within Ivy League play, falling one game behind Brown (12–3, 7–0). Both Princeton and Brown will advance to the NCAA tournament.

Princeton dominated most of last weekend’s game, outshooting the Quakers 19–9 overall and 7–3 on shots on target. The Tigers poured on seven shots in the first half, but Penn keeper Laurence Gladu kept Princeton off the board. Princeton senior keeper Grace Barbara matched the effort as the game went to halftime scoreless.

The Tigers’ domination went up a level in the second half, outshooting the Quakers 12–5. Only one of the 12 found the back of the net, but it was all that the Tigers needed. After a few quick passes, junior defender Madison Curry launched a bomb over the top to Hart, who took a touch before hammering a low shot past a diving Gladu. It was Hart’s first goal of the year.

The Quakers had a couple chances to tie after the goal but were unable to break through. The win put a bow on an incredible season for the Tigers, who dominated their schedule throughout.

Selected today for the NCAA tournament, the Tigers have a first-round matchup against Vermont (12–5–1), which received an automatic bid by winning the American East Conference. It will be Princeton’s 14th time competing in the postseason tournament.

The game will take place at Princeton’s home turf, Sherrerd Field, on Nov. 12 at 6 p.m.

Ben Burns is an Associate Sports Editor at the ‘Prince.’ He can be reached at bwburns@princeton.edu.