Joshua Bolten ’76: President and CEO, Business Roundtable

Joshua Bolten Chief of Staff
Joshua Bolten ’76 shakes hands with President George W. Bush.
David Bohrer / The White House

Joshua Bolten serves as president and CEO of Business Roundtable, an influential lobbying group comprised of CEOs from corporate mainstays. Last year, The Hill named Bolten one of its “Top Lobbyists.”

Bolten, a veteran of the Bush administration, represents a conservative tradition often at odds with President Donald Trump. Though Bolten criticized Trump during the 2016 campaign, he sought to make amends upon assuming Business Roundtable’s helm.

Bolten was Director of the Office of Management and Budget from 2003 to 2006 and Chief of Staff to President George W. Bush from 2006 to 2009. He was Deputy Chief of Staff for Policy from 2001 to 2003. Before that, he was policy director on Bush’s presidential campaign.

Last November, Bolten told The Daily Princetonian, “the nature of our political discourse today is very concerning. The toxicity of our politics, I think, is tearing in our social fabric in a way that could have consequences for a long time to come.”

Along with U.S. Representative Terri Sewell ’86 (D-Ala.), who is also featured on our list, Bolten serves on the University’s Board of Trustees. He was a visiting professor at the School of Public and International Affairs, where he earned an A.B. degree, from 2009 to 2011. As an undergraduate, Bolten was class president and president of Ivy Club.

Read our full interview with Joshua Bolten here.