U. pro-life club helps lead March for Life

Pro-Life march

Courtesy of Ally Cavazos ‘19

Born with a genetic bone disease, Ally Cavazos ’19 — president of the Princeton Pro-Life club — believes that, without protest against abortion, lives such as her own would have been terminated before birth.

That is why Cavazos delivered one of the keynote addresses at the March for Life rally in Washington, D.C., on Jan. 18. In her speech, delivered in front of thousands of people, Cavazos said that there are no genetic circumstances that justify abortion. Other speakers included Ben Shapiro, Congressman Chris Smith (R-N.J.), Alveda King, and other renowned advocates of the pro-life movement.

She had arrived at the rally with 35 members of the Princeton Pro-Life club, who helped lead the march by carrying the Princeton Pro-Life banner in front of all the marchers.

The club aims to inform students of anti-abortion issues and raise money for anti-abortion non-profit organizations.

According to Jack Whelan ’19, former treasurer and an active member of the club, current and emeritus members of the club together carried the banner “in front of half a million fellow marchers,” among them high schoolers, college organizations, and families.

In an interview with The Daily Princetonian, Cavazos said that she was honored to be selected as a speaker and proud to represent the University. She noted that she was especially “awed” to express herself in front of thousands.

“The event is about drawing attention to the tragedy of abortion, but also about celebrating human life, welcoming all the joy and unexpectedness that it entails,” Cavazos said. “The March for Life is one of the most joyful and happy events that I continually attend.”

“I will always speak up for those who cannot yet speak for themselves,” she added.

Cavazos also encouraged the University community to learn more about the pro-life movement.

Several students who attended the rally declined to comment to the ‘Prince.’