Relocated Holder residents tour their temporary living accommodations

Last week, flooding forced 26 students living in two Holder Hall entryways to temporarily relocate to residential buildings and faculty housing, where they will stay for over a month.

Six of these students were relocated to Merwick Stanworth, a faculty apartment complex approximately half a mile from campus. The Daily Princetonian checked in with Alice Wistar ’20 and Anne Marie Wright ’20, who are living in one of these apartments with another roommate.

“It’s 1,200 square feet, has a kitchen, washer, dryer, living room, three individual bedrooms, and three full bathrooms,” Wistar told the ‘Prince,’ adding that the apartment is a large upgrade from her 400 square foot dorm in Holder Hall, which she shared with three roommates.

Merwick Stanworth apartments can cost renters from $1,572 to over $3000 a month, according to the University website. Holder Hall students were not charged for their temporary accommodations.

Wistar showed the ‘Prince’ around the apartment, which has a washer, dryer, full-sized refrigerator, oven, and patio.

“I am living better here than I ever was at home,” remarked Wistar as she stepped into her closet.

“At the end of the day it’s going to make me stronger,” said Wistar, “I’m adaptable, but at the same time I’m tired and I’m sick of moving, and I really hope that I don’t have to move again.” 

She added that the moving process was inconvenient and stressful.

Wright recalled the day she came home to Holder to find her clothes and papers wet.

“‘This is fine,‘” she said she thought, “‘We’re just going to be kicked out for a night.’”

The following day, Wright and her roommates learned they would be moving to an apartment off-campus.

The apartment is “quite nice,” according to Wright, who added that she never had a single room before.

“It’s kind of wild,” she added.

Watch the ‘Prince’ video coverage of students’ new living accommodations here.