This Side of: Women’s Squash at Princeton

This past weekend officially marked the end of my career as a student-athlete at Princeton. Although I will no longer spend countless hours underground at Jadwin Gym, the personal identitythat I have developed asa student athlete will stay with me forever.

Being a freshman at Princeton can be daunting. It can be difficult to find your classes, find your friends and most importantly, find yourself among such a competitive student body. Entering Princeton as part of the squash team not only gave me an instant community, it made me feel as though I were contributing to something larger than my own academic success and personal growth. Having team gatherings, matches and practices provided an outlet from the rigorous academics at Princeton. Although the majority of the benefits I have reaped from being a student-athlete have not been gender-specific, there are some things for which I am very grateful as a female athlete. Some benefits may seem trivial while others may be much more noticeable, but all have had an impact on my career both on and off the court.

Throughout my four years of college, I have noticed how almost all women are self-conscious about their bodies (I am not exempt from this). However, being a female athlete has made me much more aware and also more comfortable with my body. Sure, there are times when I wish I could wear flowy frocks that look good on thin, frail models. But then I remember how weak I feel on the squash court after having failed to fuel properly before a practice. I remember how my body helps me to run, bike and hit a squash ball. The sense of accomplishment and personal pride I gain from success in athletics far outweighs the feeling of being a delicate model. Is my butt too big for those pants? Oh well, I can lunge on the squash court. A sweater is too tight on my shoulders? Hm, well I (almost) did a chin-up yesterday and that was pretty cool.

In my opinion, if you feel good in your body, it probably looks good too. And to be honest, who is scrutinizing it anyway? Playing squash, which appeals to a wide range of body types, has certainly opened my eyes to the variety of talent and skill which is used in the game, and for that I am grateful.

Another topic that is somewhat contentious amongst females in our day and age besides body image is food intake. As an athlete, I eat to perform. My primary reason for eating well is not to keep a certain body fat percentage so I can wear a smaller-size squash dress (which, to be honest, fits me like a long shirt anyway). I eat well so that I can play well in the dress. Furthermore, I feel fortunate to not worry about being judged for what I eat. I truly enjoy good food, and being an athlete not only gives me a pass to eat as healthy as I want, but to eat “other” foods as well. Peanut butter is a food group for me, and I take great pride in it.

From the small things, like justifying my decision to wear sweatpants far too often, to larger issues, such as everyday confidence, being a female athlete has been one of the most important parts of my Princeton career. Furthermore, it has given me the confidence to write this article — something I would not have been willing or able to do without these experiences.