News & Notes: Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory finds success with 3-D printing technology

The Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory is using 3-D printing technology to create custom parts for experiments with support from the U.S. Department of Energy's Office of Science, a University press release reported.

Lab parts can be printed in a few hours, which reduces time spent waiting for custom products to be created.

"The versatility of the printer is such that our first reaction to an equipment need is no longer whether we can find or purchase the required piece of equipment, but can we print it?" Andrew Zwicker, the head of PPPL's Science Education Department, said.

3-D printers work by layering materials such as ceramic, plastic or metal thinly over a build plate. The nozzle is controlled by a computer program that follows the specified design and filament is often inexpensive and reduces the price of tools and components. PPPL conducts experiments using a plastic printing machine and currently owns two 3-D printers.

Zwicker said that replacement pieces such as handles and safety guards were produced for less than a dollar. He noted that the printing does not weaken the printed material.