News & Notes: Norovirus suspected in outbreak of illness at Nassau Inn

The Princeton Health Department concluded an investigation of Nassau Inn following reports of illness from Thanksgiving diners, the Times of Trenton reported.

Town health officer Jeffrey Grosser said that norovirus is suspected in the majority of reported cases due to the nature of the symptoms and rapid onset of illness, although the department has not obtained confirmed lab specimens from the ill diners.

Norovirus, the leading cause of foodborne disease outbreaks nationally, causes inflammation of the stomach or intestines.Grosser said norovirus can spread through consuming contaminated food and liquid and having direct contact with infected people.

Officials collected information from 53 customers whose symptoms included vomiting and diarrhea.

As part of the investigation, the department examined the hotel's practices for heating food, refrigeration and cleaning.Health officers conducted interviews with employees and reminded them to wash their hands, sanitize touchable surfaces and remain home from work if they felt sick.

He added that it would be almost impossible to pinpoint how the disease spread at Nassau Inn.

Most people’s gastrointestinal problems faded within 24 to 48 hours, and only three people reported symptoms this week, Grosser said.