University, Labyrinth introduce discounted course books

In an email sent out to the student body on Aug. 11, Deputy Dean of the College Clayton Marsh announced that the University had reached an agreement with Labyrinth Books, which provides textbooks for most University courses, allowing students to buy used and new textbooks at 30 percent off the listed price.

The new deal also allows buybacks at a fraction of the original, not discounted, list price so students can earn more money back when returning their books at the end of each semester.

The new arrangement is specific to Princeton and is not offered at other Labyrinth branches.

Assistant Vice President of University Services Paul Breitman did not specify the details of the financial arrangement, noting in an email only that “the pilot discount program is part of a joint effort and is supported by the University and Labyrinth to make students’ course books more affordable and easier to purchase.”

“We are very pleased to provide an opportunity for eligible students to take advantage of the streamlined course-book-purchasing process, save money and promote sustainability,” he said.

As part of the effort, the University has also introduced a new feature on Blackboard and the Registrar’s website that connects both websites to Labyrinth and allows students to order their textbooks ahead of time to be packaged for express pickup.

Students and parents can now view the reading list for each class beginning Sept. 1, rather than when classes begin, and order books ahead of time.

The new process makes purchases more convenient and environmentally friendly, Breitman said, because it allows for decreased packaging and fewer deliveries than when students use online mail-order bookstores.

The earlier posting of course lists allows students more time to find retail options that fit their budgets.

The partnership with Labyrinth, which Marsh called a “natural choice because we have a continuing relationship with the store as the University bookseller for the last four years,” also benefits students through easy returns and exchanges because of its location, guaranteed buyback prices based on a percentage of the full retail price instead of the discounted student price and the ability for students to charge the books to their student accounts or use Paw Points.

The general campus response has been positive, Breitman said.

Several students noted that the new discounts would encourage them to purchase their coursebooks from Labyrinth rather than turning to often cheaper online retailers such as Amazon, a pattern which has drained Labyrinth’s customer base in recent years.

Mitchell Morgan ’12 said he bought more books at Labyrinth this year than previous years because “it seemed like prices were competitive with Amazon’s prices, so I figured it was easier just to buy from Labyrinth.”

Donna Park ’12 also said that she approved of the new program. “I wish it had started earlier,” she said. “It’s often cheaper than Amazon now.”

The new policy is Princeton’s response to the 2008 Higher Education Opportunity Act, which requires colleges to provide students with reading lists and purchasing information so that they can find them at affordable prices.

“Princeton designed a new software tool that provides students with even more purchasing information and functionality than is required under the act,” Breitman said.

The program is not yet permanent, he added, but will run in a pilot phase for two semesters.