Letters to the Editor - Dec. 4, 2007

Policy undermines Princeton ethos

Regarding 'University tightens alcohol enforcement policy,' (Thursday, Nov. 8, 2007):

At the heart of the Princeton ethos is the belief that students can be trusted to police themselves and each other. Just look at our honor code system. There aren't even professors in the room while we take exams! Why, if this is the norm academically, something that our institution prides itself on so much (and rightfully so), should the social standard be set so differently? We do not need big brother keeping an eye on us outside the classroom either. We are a group of intelligent young adults. We are not Rider students. We are self-reliant, but we also rely on the ability to trust our friends and neighbors. People here tend to know the difference between drunk and dangerous. If they don't, they ask someone who does. That person is often their RCA. How would the new guidelines change this relationship? Instead of viewing their RCA as a mature upperclassman who's chill, helpful and pumps them full of taco bell on a weekly basis, the RCA will be a person to avoid. Having served as an RCA last year, I can personally attest to the fact that I would have felt my relationship with my 'zees very much undermined had I been subjected to the proposed new guidelines.

Princeton is about taking the lead, not being reactionary. I would argue that you only increase the chances of an alcoholrelated death by implementing these rules. These new rules strike me as an effort to present a public image of concern to change the University climate. I don't doubt that this concern is genuine, nor do I doubt that they will lead to change. I question only whether the changes will be positive. Johnny Clore '08

One helpful calendar change

Regarding 'No changes will be made to the academic calendar' (Monday, Nov. 19, 2007):

It is understandable, if surprising, that Princeton will not make major changes to the academic calendar. Nevertheless, one tweak is in order. Canceling classes the Wednesday before Thanksgiving would ease major travel headaches for students eager to spend Thanksgiving with their families. Of course, many professors choose to cancel class, but many do not. Students attempting to make travel arrangements early in the semester are left guessing whether they can afford to buy tickets for flights Wednesday morning or whether they will have to be in class Wednesday afternoon. Many students skip their Wednesday classes anyway, and professors that do hold class face near-empty lecture halls. For students eager to get home on one of the year's busiest travel days, long nights in airports, delays and cancelled flights leave them with little for which to be thankful. During my freshman year, the Dinky broke down as we rushed to catch trains and flights after class. As a junior, I spent hours reading Chaucer at Newark Airport awaiting a delayed flight. Given these experiences, I understood why many of my peers chose not to join their families at all or tagged along with local friends. It is time to find a way to make it easier for students who wish to fly home to do so. Benjamin Brady '07

'College Night' Members-only

Regarding 'Exclusive college meals spark debate,' (Tuesday, Nov. 20, 2007):

Whitman College's "College Night" recently started, and while some view it as building camaraderie within the residential colleges, it is just more evidence of the inequality among colleges. I know we are all tired of hearing that "Whitman is so nice." I would, in fact, argue that it is not that great: My first meal at the Whitman dining hall I had to eat in the foyer. This makes College Night seem like a great idea. The goal was to strip Whitman down to Whitman residents, to build unity, to let them see who actually lives there. Herein lies the problem, however. At the first College Night, we were not told to go to our own dining halls. Rather, students were just told to stay out of Whitman.

After working as the Wu card checker and overhearing a girl say, "Whitman is members only tonight," it instantly reminded me of the elitist eating club system that the Princeton administration has been so desperate to escape. I'm not saying College Night is a bad idea, I'm just saying to word the fliers differently. The University should make all of the colleges "members only" and take the focus off the inequality among them. Kati Herrera '11

Quality of program should not decline

Regarding 'U. requires Outdoor or Community Action for international frosh' (Tuesday, Nov. 20, 2007):

I would like to clarify my quotes in this recent article. While the fact that international students would be forced to do OA or CA is undesirable and may result in fewer participants in international pre-orientation, the more important issue is the potential decrease in the quality of the program.

Major inputs to making international pre-orientation such a successful program and an enjoyable experience for incoming international freshmen are the enthusiastic International Student Association at Princeton (ISAP) volunteers who serve as peer facilitators. We help the new students move in, share our experiences of life at Princeton and coordinate the social events that occur in the evening during pre-orientation. Every year there are many ISAP members who apply to be pre-orientation volunteers — the vast majority of whom were previous participants. Last year, we could only accept less than half the applicants.

As an ISAP volunteer for the past two years, the fact that ISAP volunteers will have to be on campus three weeks before school starts is definitely a huge detraction from applying to be a volunteer again. This is more so the case for upperclassmen, many of whom have summer internships that finish mid-August. The earlier pre-orientation would now be moved into late August, and for us international students who already don't spend much time at home, many would prefer to just go home for the rest of the summer. I worry that many ISAP members will feel the same way, and the number of willing volunteers will drop significantly (plus there are no dining options available in those two free weeks after pre-orientation, which is a hassle and costly). It would be a real shame if the quality of the pre-orientation program decreases as a result of these policy changes. The program helps foster a sense of belonging to ISAP and the international community, as well as Princeton at large, and builds on our cohesiveness as a major group of the student body. Megan Chiao '09 President, International Student Association at Princeton

Dorm heating should be improved

Regarding 'Princeton's sustainability defies rankings' (Monday, Nov. 26, 2007):

Take a walk around campus and notice how many windows are open despite the frigid weather. Heating systems in the dorms are far from efficient, especially in the older buildings. All other issues aside, it is clear that the University is burning more carbon than it needs to. Colin Anderson '07

U.'s Thanksgiving table is quite lavish

Regarding 'Princeton's Thanksgiving table' (Tuesday, Nov. 20, 2007):

I would like to point out that, contrary to Kathryn Andersen '08's suggestion, many Thanksgivings are in fact quite "complete" without mirroring the sort of socially enlightened epicurean feasts Princeton lavishes on its patrons. Braised organic artichokes and fig brule au poivre in the shadow of a $1.75 billion capital campaign are delightful, but oh that billions more will muster the courage this Thanksgiving to give meek thanks, absent of glistening grass-fed steaks. David Hsu GS

Rhodes scholars also editors of the Tory

Regarding 'On the Rhodes,' (Monday, Nov. 26, 2007):

Professor Joshua Katz misses one important link between recent Rhodes winners. Two of the past four were Editor-in-Chief of the Tory, a magazine whose name has piqued the interest of the England-loving interview committees. Matt Schmitz '08 Publisher, The Princeton Tory

Costume should spark diversity dicussion

Regarding ' 'Blackface' pics spark controversy' (Monday, Dec. 3, 2007):

In light of the recent incident involving photographs of USG presidential candidate Josh Weinstein '09 dressed in blackface circulating on IvyGate, the Fields Center Student Advisory Board wishes to express its disappointment in Weinstein's response to the concerns surrounding his poor judgment and also his dismissal of these allegations in his personal statement issued this past Wednesday.

We believe that it is important for Weinstein and others to think about the highly probable misinterpretation of his costume given the uncanny resemblance to the archetypal racist American depiction of blacks in the 19th and early-20th century and the negative impact that it could have on members of the Princeton community. We, however, do not think response to this issue should focus on censuring Weinstein, who has expressed an interest in ethnic issues through his support of the diversity groups and has voiced sincere apologies for his racial insensitivity during the emergency meeting with the BSU.

Rather, we take this opportunity to caution all members of the Princeton community to assume accountability for their actions, make decisions based on the principle of respect for all members in this learning community and act in a manner befitting of someone representing the whole of the student body to the rest of society. We advocate learning from this incident and wish to spark dialogue about multicultural relations at Princeton. Furthermore, we urge all members of the University to take a stand against such incidents in the future that would jeopardize the fabric of our inclusive community.? Vanessa Rodriguez '09 Carl A. Fields Center Student Advisory Board