Magic in March: The night Princeton believed in miracles

This article originally ran on March 15, 1996, after men's basketball defeated defending national champion UCLA 43-41 in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

INDIANAPOLIS — You could sense it spreading throughout the arena last night in Indianapolis. Belief. Belief in miracles.

Belief in the improbable. Belief in the impossible — an incredible 43-41 Princeton victory over the defending national champion UCLA (23-8) last night at the RCA Dome in Indianapolis before a crowd of 31,569. The upset was perhaps the greatest Princeton victory under men's basketball head coach Pete Carril.

The Tigers (22-6 overall) advance to the second round of the NCAA tournament's Southeast Region. They face Mississippi State (23-7), who defeated Virginia Commonwealth, 58-51, last night, at 7:10 p.m. Saturday.

"This marks a big step for our team," junior captain Sydney Johnson said. "We just proved to ourselves that we can beat people. (Carril) was talking earlier and said, 'It doesn't matter if I believe . . . It matters if you believe.'"

Upset fever

This belief — this upset fever — was contagious. It took hold of Princeton after the opening five minutes, when senior forward Chris Doyal drained his team's first three-pointer. It then took hold of the crowd, first the Princeton supporters, then the MIssissippi State fans, and then the entire arena. By the game's end, it had taken hold of UCLA.

Down, 41-34, with five minutes, 38 seconds remaining, things looked grim for the Tigers. Princeton had battled to a 19-18 halftime deficit and kept it close through most of the second half, as Princeton somehow managed to capitalize on UCLA's mistakes. At the 10:34 mark, the score was tied, 31-31. But a 10-3 UCLA run gave the Bruins a seven-point lead and forced a Carril timeout.

Johnson came out of the break at 5:38 and drained a long-range three pointer to cut the lead to four. Sophomore center Steve Goodrich grabbed a rebound and dropped in a basket. Belief grew. With 2:58 remaining, Johnson added a layup to tie the score at 41 and put the crowd in hysteria.

The teams exchanged possessions without scoring until 21 seconds remained, when Princeton held possesion of the ball and had the opportunity to take the final shot.

Freshman forward Gabe Lewullis took it — and made it. Goodrich fed Lewullis on a cut through the middle and Lewullis converted. Mass pandemonium. A backdoor play — Princeton's most classic maneuver to win Princeton's biggest game.

It was not over, by any means. But that belief in miracles was overflowing. With 2.2 seconds left, junior guard Cameron Dollar inbounded to sophomore guard Toby Bailey, who dribbled around the left baseline and missed his shot long.

The game was over. The miracle had come true. Princeton 43, UCLA 41. All those years of Carril coming up just a few points short were erased. Do you believe in miracles? After last night, you gotta believe.

On campus, the celebration was immediate and dramatic. Crowds of students gathered at the 'Street,' chanting and singing the alma mater. When a Ryder truck drove through Prospect Avenue, ecstatic Tiger fans grabbed hold of the still-moving vehicle. Even an hour after the game ended, throngs of Tiger supporters were still milling around outside the clubs.